Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

Default Clickable text in Word templates

I'm not sure what you call it in a template where MS has included text
Click here to enter your name or whatever, that when you click it the
default text goes away and the new text replaces it, but I'd like to do that
in a custom template. Since I don't know what it is, I don't know how to
look for it in the help. Anyone know what that's called?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton,
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
I'm not sure what you call it in a template where MS has included text
Click here to enter your name or whatever, that when you click it the
default text goes away and the new text replaces it, but I'd like to do
that in a custom template. Since I don't know what it is, I don't know
how to look for it in the help. Anyone know what that's called?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

I haven't been able to find any difference between this and a regular text
field (i.e. when you click the text field the default text goes away and no
trace of the original field seems to exist in the document). When I tried
to insert a MacroButton field, it automatically selected the first macro on
the list and did not seem to offer a way to type in the name of a
nonexistent macro. I didn't want to add an empty macro named NoMacro,
because many people get prompted when they try to view a doc with macros,
and they think you're being sneaky.

Are there any disadvantages to just using a text field instead?

-Amy

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton,
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
I'm not sure what you call it in a template where MS has included text
Click here to enter your name or whatever, that when you click it the
default text goes away and the new text replaces it, but I'd like to do
that in a custom template. Since I don't know what it is, I don't know
how to look for it in the help. Anyone know what that's called?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Amy,

Don't try to use the Insert Field dialog for this. Just type the field
code as plain text into the document, such as

MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Click here and type name]

Select that text and press Ctrl+F9. That adds the field braces around it.
Then press F9, or right-click it and select Update Field, to get the
collapsed form.

And you don't need any actual macro -- that's the point of typing "NoMacro"
in the field. The idea is that the field does nothing when the user clicks
it, except that it all becomes selected.

The advantage of this over a text field is that in order to use a text field
you have to protect the document for forms. That imposes all kinds of
restrictions -- any part of the document that isn't a form field can't be
edited. When you use a MacroButton field, there are no restrictions on the
rest of the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Amy Blankenship wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

I didn't protect my document, and I haven't noticed any ill effects. What
sorts of problems should I be seeing in my unprotected document that I'm
not?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

so all may benefit.

Amy Blankenship wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For the way you're using it, there's no practical difference between a
NoMacro-type MacroButton field and an unprotected text form field.
There won't be any problems either way.

The form field is _intended_ to be used in a protected document (read
about it at http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22. In
much the same sense, a MacroButton field is _intended_ to launch a
macro. Either one can be used in an unintended manner, for which I'd
say they're equivalent.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman