Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Find won't find, Word 2000

I was working in 3-4 documents and suddenly the Find command stopped
working. I press Ctrl-f to open the Find and Replace panel. I enter my
text and click Find Next and I get a message that Word has finished
searching the document and item was not found. This is a phrase that
occurs hundres of time sin the document and one that it was finding
minutes before.

The only thing I did was open the "More" panel. I did not change
anything (as far as I know) and close it.

If I reopen the More panel, the search options are all unchecked and
"ALL" is set in the Search: window.

The cursor is at the top of the document.

What did I do and how can I fix it. I tried closing Word and
restarting it. I am about to reboot.

Any more info you need? It's Word 2000.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:44:36 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

I was working in 3-4 documents and suddenly the Find command stopped
working. I press Ctrl-f to open the Find and Replace panel. I enter my
text and click Find Next and I get a message that Word has finished
searching the document and item was not found. This is a phrase that
occurs hundres of time sin the document and one that it was finding
minutes before.

The only thing I did was open the "More" panel. I did not change
anything (as far as I know) and close it.

If I reopen the More panel, the search options are all unchecked and
"ALL" is set in the Search: window.

The cursor is at the top of the document.

What did I do and how can I fix it. I tried closing Word and
restarting it. I am about to reboot.

Any more info you need? It's Word 2000.

Thanks

OK, I rebooted. When it came back up, Word was operating normally.
Find was working.

I resumed the work I was doing which was searching for the phrase
"father". I wanted to turn most of the occurrances to red. I have a
macro that I wrote that cycles selected text from black (automatic) to
red to blue and back to black.

After 2-3 searches and color changes using my macro, Find stopped
working as before saying it couldn't find the text. I closed Word and
restarted it and Find worked again and I was able to complete the
task. as far as I can tell, I was doing exactly the same thing.

The macro is as follows:

Sub MyFontColorCycle()
Dim svColor As String

'Check the current fill setting and set it to the next one in the ring
If Selection.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic Then 'If automatic, set
it to red
Selection.Font.Color = wdColorRed: svColor = "Red"
ElseIf Selection.Font.Color = wdColorRed Then 'If red, set it to
blue
Selection.Font.Color = wdColorBlue: svColor = "Blue"
Else 'If blue (or
anything else), set it to automatic (black)
Selection.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic: svColor = "Automatic
(black)"
End If

'Display results in status bar
StatusBar = "Color is now " & svColor

End Sub

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aneasiertomorrow aneasiertomorrow is offline

Hi there

I might be missing the point completely, but if you want to turn some of the
occurances of 'father' to red you can use find and replace:
1. Ctrl+h to open replace dialogue box
2. Type father in find what
3. Type ^& in the replce with box (^& puts in the text from the find what box)
4. With the cursor still in the replace with box, select
More...-Format-font and change font colour to red
5. Perform the find and replace as normal.

Hope that helps and sorry if I've misunderstood :-)

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
South Australia

If this post answered your question please let us know as others may be
interested too

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:58:02 -0700, aneasiertomorrow
wrote:

Hi there

I might be missing the point completely, but if you want to turn some of the
occurances of 'father' to red you can use find and replace:
1. Ctrl+h to open replace dialogue box
2. Type father in find what
3. Type ^& in the replce with box (^& puts in the text from the find what box)
4. With the cursor still in the replace with box, select
More...-Format-font and change font colour to red
5. Perform the find and replace as normal.

Hope that helps and sorry if I've misunderstood :-)

Lucy

That's a very helpful tip and it would probably have prevented the
problem, but I would still like to know what caused Find to stop
working.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:19:00 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

One of the commonest reasons is that you have some kind of formatting
applied to the "Find what" box.

That was one of the first things that I thought of, especially because
of my macro, which does do some formatting.

But if I had any kind of formatting at all, wouldn't it always show up
after the "Format:" field under the "Find what:" field?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000