Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
m-ga m-ga is offline

Default Font substitution

I'm designing templates for my organisation, and would like to use one of the
fonts bundled with our version of Office:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...t.aspx?PID=143

As these aren't system fonts they may not appear on users machines when we
email documents outside our organisation.

My questions:

1. What font will Word substitute if it can't find the font I've used?

2. Is there any way I can control the substitution? For example, if I set up
my documents to use Gill Sans, could I have Word substitute Arial at times
Gill Sans is unavailable?

Thanks. By the way, I am aware of Word's font embedding feature but would
prefer to avoid it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Font substitution is a pig's breakfast at the best of times. Either install
the fonts you want to use when you install the templates. Or save your
sanity and forget about it: design your templates to use bog-standard fonts
only. This is graphically less than ideal, but as a real world issue, it's
the only approach that actually works.

"m-ga" wrote in message
I'm designing templates for my organisation, and would like to use one of
the
fonts bundled with our version of Office:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...t.aspx?PID=143

As these aren't system fonts they may not appear on users machines when we
email documents outside our organisation.

My questions:

1. What font will Word substitute if it can't find the font I've used?

2. Is there any way I can control the substitution? For example, if I set
up
my documents to use Gill Sans, could I have Word substitute Arial at times
Gill Sans is unavailable?

Thanks. By the way, I am aware of Word's font embedding feature but would
prefer to avoid it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
m-ga m-ga is offline

Thanks Jezebel.

I can guarantee that users within my organisation (about 400 people) will
have the Office Professional Edition 2003 fonts installed. In everyday use
when they're printing out documents, or emailing them to each other,
everything will be fine.

The problem arises when they email documents for editing outside the
organisation. This will not happen often, but is possible. In these
situations, I can't be sure that the Office Professional Edition 2003 fonts
will be available (eg. an earlier or cut-down version of Word might be used).

What does Word do if the specified font is unavailable?

Your answer suggests to simply use system fonts for everything, which
effectively sidesteps the issue. I agree that this will work, but it's not
clear that this will be the only or the best solution for us.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi M-ga,

In Word under Tools=Options=Compatability there is a
[Font Substitution] button. Basically, Windows, rather than Word does the substitutions based on certain font metrics
(characteristics) starting with a font substitution table that Windows maintains. The idea there is to try to keep a serif or sans
serif font in that same family, and to choose a font that will have approximately the same size and spacing if one is available on
the other computer.

For Word, if a font is missing and Windows substitutes another font Word will still show the original font name in the font choice
on the toolbar, unless you use the Tools=Options=Compatability choice to make the substitutions permanent.

The idea there was that as people collaborate on a document they would continue to 'work' with the original font choice and it would
be retained when sending the comments back to the original author. This can be okay if you're not trying to utilize Word for
precise page layout software (it's not targeted primarily at that type of use).

You can simulate the substitution effect yourself by selecting some text in a document and in the font dialog type in the name
'Fred' as the (non existant) font, and tap the Enter key. Your selected text will show Fred as the font name 'in use' the toolbar
and you can see what was substituted for it in Tools=Options=Compatability.

Alternatively, but it creates large files, you can use the embed font choice in Tools=Options=Save if the licensing for a
particular font supports embedding.

=========

--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Free MS Office 2007 book from MS Press, 213 pages:
http://microsoft.com/learning/office...oksfrommspress

2.. Office 2007 Beta 2 Online Test Drive, Downloadable beta,
e-learning courses, doucmentation and movies:
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

3. Send 2007 Office System Beta 2 feedback directly to the MS Office 2007 product team with this feedback tool:
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

4. Try the 2007 OfficeOnline preview website , without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033

b. then visit
http://officebeta.iponet.net