Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David David is offline

Default Section Number not showing up right on page numbers

I have a problem with my sections. I have a report with about 6 sections and
a table of contents in the beginning. I put my first section break after the
table of contents, and I want the first section and each section after that
to have page numbers with both the section and page number, but the first
section page numbers always say page 2-1 instead of page 1-1. The second
section and subsequent sections read correctly. I can't figure out why the
page numbers and captions don't read correctly because I changed the format
in the bullets menu to start at Section 1. Anyways, a little help would be
great.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

This is one of those headaches that come back every once in a while.

See:
"Page X of Y" gives wrong numbers
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/PageXofY.htm

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"david" wrote in message
I have a problem with my sections. I have a report with about 6 sections
and
a table of contents in the beginning. I put my first section break after
the
table of contents, and I want the first section and each section after
that
to have page numbers with both the section and page number, but the first
section page numbers always say page 2-1 instead of page 1-1. The second
section and subsequent sections read correctly. I can't figure out why
the
page numbers and captions don't read correctly because I changed the
format
in the bullets menu to start at Section 1. Anyways, a little help would
be
great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you are using the SECTION field, then 2 is correct, since the section
after the first section break IS Section 2.

If you've used "Include chapter number" and applied autonumbering to the
heading style that's being picked up by the page number, then this is a
different issue. Sometimes an empty paragraph before the heading (possibly
even before the section break) will pick up the numbering format and be
counted as the first numbered heading. If your heading is numbered, does the
actual h heading numbering start with 1 or 2?

"david" wrote in message
I have a problem with my sections. I have a report with about 6 sections

and
a table of contents in the beginning. I put my first section break after

the
table of contents, and I want the first section and each section after

that
to have page numbers with both the section and page number, but the first
section page numbers always say page 2-1 instead of page 1-1. The second
section and subsequent sections read correctly. I can't figure out why

the
page numbers and captions don't read correctly because I changed the

format
in the bullets menu to start at Section 1. Anyways, a little help would

be
great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David David is offline

I am using the section field. Should I not use the section field for the
first section? I think I need to because the first two pages are the table
of contents and table of figures, etc. When I inserted the page numbers I
did use the include chapter number option. When I view the details of the
page, I don't see anything unusual and the first heading 1 label is in the
right place. The heading number is section 2 but I clicked on it to 'restart
numbering' and it shows section 1. I tried to manually change the heading
number to 1 but it doesn't stick.

"david" wrote in message
I have a problem with my sections. I have a report with about 6 sections

and
a table of contents in the beginning. I put my first section break after

the
table of contents, and I want the first section and each section after

that
to have page numbers with both the section and page number, but the first
section page numbers always say page 2-1 instead of page 1-1. The second
section and subsequent sections read correctly. I can't figure out why

the
page numbers and captions don't read correctly because I changed the

format
in the bullets menu to start at Section 1. Anyways, a little help would

be
great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ah, you are really confused now. A SECTION field is not the same as a
section break, which is what you have inserted. When you insert a section
break, the portion of the document following it becomes Section 2. If you
inserted a SECTION field in your page number (that is, the page number was
made up of a SECTION field and a PAGE field), then the leading number would
be 2 because it is the number of the section.

It appears, however, that you have done this correctly, using the "Include
chapter number" option, pointing to your numbered headings. Now you need to
find out why your headings are being numbered incorrectly. If your "first"
numbered heading is being numbered 2 until you diddle with it, then that's
because there is another paragraph (or perhaps even the section break
itself) in that style preceding it, and that is numbered 1. This is what you
need to track down. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm
for some troubleshooting tips that will help with this. Make sure there is a
paragraph mark before your section break, and that that paragraph mark is
NOT formatted as Heading 1 (or whatever heading style you're using in the
page numbers).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the SECTION field, then 2 is correct, since the section
after the first section break IS Section 2.

If you've used "Include chapter number" and applied autonumbering to the
heading style that's being picked up by the page number, then this is a
different issue. Sometimes an empty paragraph before the heading

(possibly
even before the section break) will pick up the numbering format and be
counted as the first numbered heading. If your heading is numbered, does

the
actual h heading numbering start with 1 or 2?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

David -

What I would do to have each of your sections have the proper paging is use
the following codes:

Page { Page } of { SectionPages } This will give you page 1 of 20 (assuming
twenty pages in this section).

To insert it:
Place your cursor in your footer section.
Type Page
Press CTRL+F9 to insert {} (which is field braces)
Place your cursor between the braces and type Page
Place your cursor to the right of the final brace and type of
Press CTRL+F9 to insert another set of field braces
Place your curser between the braces and type SectionPages

Select the entire paragraph and press F9 to update the fields.

Let me know if that is not what you want. (You may need to format the
footer to start at page 1)

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the SECTION field, then 2 is correct, since the section
after the first section break IS Section 2.

If you've used "Include chapter number" and applied autonumbering to the
heading style that's being picked up by the page number, then this is a
different issue. Sometimes an empty paragraph before the heading
(possibly
even before the section break) will pick up the numbering format and be
counted as the first numbered heading. If your heading is numbered, does
the
actual h heading numbering start with 1 or 2?

so
all may benefit.

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is not what he wants. He wants the "section number" (not the SECTION
field but actually the chapter number) included in his page numbers such
that it will show up in the TOC.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the SECTION field, then 2 is correct, since the

section
after the first section break IS Section 2.

If you've used "Include chapter number" and applied autonumbering to

the
heading style that's being picked up by the page number, then this is a
different issue. Sometimes an empty paragraph before the heading
(possibly
even before the section break) will pick up the numbering format and be
counted as the first numbered heading. If your heading is numbered,

does
the
actual h heading numbering start with 1 or 2?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David David is offline

Well, I checked everything prior to the section break and I found nothing
else with Heading 1, except one thing but that didn't help. I looked at that
page you linked for me and I used the reveal codes option and it didn't help
either. This is so annoying. I have another problem too. In my captions,
there is an extra section field, so it reads 2-0-1 for example. Do you know
how to get rid of a section field?

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, send a small sample that exhibits the problem. In the cover email, be
sure to describe the problem adequately.

"david" wrote in message
[...]

How can I reset a section break number? floridawildlife Page Layout 5 July 21st 06 11:07 PM
Page number restart Laura79 Microsoft Word Help 4 June 21st 06 05:53 AM
Changing page number Denis Levesque Microsoft Word Help 4 April 11th 06 12:58 PM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
page number positioning and format tinaa Page Layout 3 February 4th 06 12:38 AM