Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
paul paul is offline

Default How can I spilit a file into 5 files, keeping the numbering ...?

I would like to have table of contents and numbering for 5 files continuesly.

Because one file would be too huge to have all data in, so I have to spilit
it into few files which come after each other.

Is there anyone how can help me?

I am writing my PhD thesis and faced the problem...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Don't even try. Word can handle documents of hundreds if not thousands of
pages.
Make sure you keep plenty of backups -
http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm may help.

Paul wrote:
I would like to have table of contents and numbering for 5 files
continuesly.

Because one file would be too huge to have all data in, so I have to
spilit it into few files which come after each other.

Is there anyone how can help me?

I am writing my PhD thesis and faced the problem...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Paul,

Word can probably handle the entire file, assuming a decently powered
computer, but if you decide for separate files, see:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

There is an index of webpages relevant to long documents like Ph.D. theses
he
http://word.mvps.org/mac/SpellCheck.html#DefaultLang

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGF1bA==?=,

I would like to have table of contents and numbering for 5 files continuesly.

Because one file would be too huge to have all data in, so I have to spilit
it into few files which come after each other.

The built-in tool for this scenario is the Master Document feature, available
through the Outline view interface. The reason neither Graham nor Daiya has
mentioned it is that it's notorious for damaging files if used incorrectly.

Used correctly:
- if you already have the text written in the single document, use the tool
to create the separate files (sub-documents). Be sure to open each sub-document
and use File/Save As to create a separate file. Discard (= don't use any more
except as a backup source) the big file.

- Create a single template that contains all the styles formatting you
require, basic header and footers, and also defines all the numbering.
- Create a new document from this template for each sub-document. Use
Insert/File to bring in the text from the sub-document. Discard (as above) the
sub-document
- Work in each sub-document to write your thesis. Make backup copies
regularly.

- When you're finished writing and need to pull it all together make a set
of backup copies and put them in a safe place. Then create a document from the
template. Use the Master Document feature to bring in each sub-document. Create
the TOC. Generate cross-references between the sub-docs and any other finishing
touches. Print.

Do NOT try to edit any text in the Master Document. If something goes wrong,
discard the Master Document and the sub-documents. Use the backup copies of the
sub-documents to continue working.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org