Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James Kendall James Kendall is offline

Default Filename in header without ".doc"

Is there a way to get the Filename to show up without the ending ".doc"?
If there is can you please let me know how to do it.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows XP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Only if you don't have file extensions displayed on your machine. And this
is no guarantee that the extension will not be displayed on another machine
on which they are not hidden.

"James Kendall" wrote in message
Is there a way to get the Filename to show up without the ending ".doc"?
If there is can you please let me know how to do it.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows XP
Office 2002

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

ActiveWindow.Caption =
Left(ActiveWindow.Caption,Len(ActiveWindow.Caption )-4)

"James Kendall" wrote in message
Is there a way to get the Filename to show up without the ending ".doc"?
If there is can you please let me know how to do it.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows XP
Office 2002

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
James Kendall James Kendall is offline

Alternately speaking is there a way to only show the first 6 characters of
the filename using a macro or something. The way the files are I could get
away with doing it this way and accomplish the same thing.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows XP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Only if you don't have file extensions displayed on your machine. And this
is no guarantee that the extension will not be displayed on another machine
on which they are not hidden.

"James Kendall" wrote in message
Is there a way to get the Filename to show up without the ending ".doc"?
If there is can you please let me know how to do it.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows XP
Office 2002

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want the filename in the document then insert it with one of the
following macros

Sub InsertfNameAndPath()
Dim pPathname As String
With ActiveDocument
If Not .Saved Then
.Save
End If
pPathname = Left$(.FullName, (Len(.FullName) - 4))
End With
Selection.TypeText pPathname
End Sub

Sub InsertFnameOnly()
Dim pPathname As String
With ActiveDocument
If Not .Saved Then
.Save
End If
pPathname = Left$(.Name, (Len(.Name) - 4))
End With
Selection.TypeText pPathname
End Sub

If you want it in the Word Window header see Jezebel's answer

James Kendall wrote:
Alternately speaking is there a way to only show the first 6
characters of the filename using a macro or something. The way the
files are I could get away with doing it this way and accomplish the
same thing.

Only if you don't have file extensions displayed on your machine.
And this is no guarantee that the extension will not be displayed on
another machine on which they are not hidden.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"James Kendall" wrote in
message ...