Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Mullikin Ed Mullikin is offline

Default Tab leaders

I had about eight names and eight committee positions to list on successive
lines in a Word document. I used the manual line break after each one so
that I would have only one paragraph format, if that makes any sense. I
selected the leader with the lower row of dots. Half of the names tabbed to
the committee position with the midlevel dots and half with the lower level
dots. If I went back to the tab set function and used no leader all the
dots disappeared so I know it was one paragraph. What gives? I put in a
footnote saying that I didn't know the cause or they would have thought me
careless.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Each line needs to be ended in Paragraph mark and not a line break. So enter
a committee position, TAB and committee name (or vice versa), Enter, each on
a separate line. You should now have 8 paragraph all on separate lines. Then
select all the lines and use Format, Tabs to set the Tab Leader left aligned
to the point where you want the alignment.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Ed Mullikin" wrote in message
I had about eight names and eight committee positions to list on successive
lines in a Word document. I used the manual line break after each one so
that I would have only one paragraph format, if that makes any sense. I
selected the leader with the lower row of dots. Half of the names tabbed
to the committee position with the midlevel dots and half with the lower
level dots. If I went back to the tab set function and used no leader all
the dots disappeared so I know it was one paragraph. What gives? I put in
a footnote saying that I didn't know the cause or they would have thought
me careless.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Each line needs to be ended in Paragraph mark and not a line break.

I don't see what that would have to do with it; there's no reason you can't
create this format in a single paragraph (in fact, I have just done so in a
document I'm working on, and it worked fine), and if it's a single
paragraph, then the tab leader should be consistent for every line (not
periods on some lines and hyphens on others).

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Mullikin Ed Mullikin is offline

I agree with Suzanne. I have done this MANY times using a manual line break
and it worked flawlessly. This is a 32 page newsletter and I've used this
method several times in this same issue, once for five pages. But, it
certainly did not work this one instance. On the printed page three of the
lines have normal leader dots at the bottom of the line. On five of the
lines, the leader dots are much lighter and appear about 3/4 the way up on
the capital letters that I am using.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Each line needs to be ended in Paragraph mark and not a line break.

I don't see what that would have to do with it; there's no reason you
can't
create this format in a single paragraph (in fact, I have just done so in
document I'm working on, and it worked fine), and if it's a single
paragraph, then the tab leader should be consistent for every line (not
periods on some lines and hyphens on others).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

You learn something new everyday! I've tried this and it does work as
described. I always thought that the tab settings wouldn't repeat for
successive lines, so I have always used paragraph breaks on these occasions.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Um, Terry, the whole idea of paragraph formatting is that it applies to the
whole paragraph. So if you set a tab in a paragraph, it's good for the whole
thing.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

I know this sounds stupid, but I thought that setting the tab, say for 6"
would only work on the first line, because on the following line it is miles
past that point and won't work again until the paragraph is reset. But
thinking about this logically, it was a stupid thought! And I don't know why
I thought that in the first place.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Your logic is impeccable if the text were wrapping naturally, but once you
insert a line break, then you're starting from scratch, as it were. To
complicate matters, in Word you can set a tab stop outside the right margin;
in WordPerfect, IIRC, if you insert a tab character at the end of a line, it
wraps to the next line instead.