Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Griff Griff is offline

Default Odd Section Breaks

Hi
I have a document which needs to be printed double sided. New sections
should start on a new page, but on an odd page. However, I want the page
numbers to continue.

For example, I put an odd page break after page 9. If printed then page 9
will print double sided with a blank page on the back (which is correct). I
then want to insert a new odd section, but I want the page number to start at
page 10....(and not 11).

Any ideas. Apologises if this has already been answered, but I have spent
an hour looking through all the messages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There's no way I've ever seen to coerce Word into printing genuinely
even-numbered pages on the "front" side of duplexed sheets. That means you
can't use the "set section starting page" function for this. However, the
"page number" that prints on the paper doesn't have to be the real page
number. :-)

If you know that section 1 will end on an odd page and there will be a blank
unnumbered page on the back of it, you can open the header/footer of section
2 and replace the {Page} field with {= {Page} - 1}. The result of this field
will be 1 less than the actual page number.

Don't try to set this up until the document has been completely edited and
formatted. Otherwise you'll get into a near-endless round of adjusting the
page numbers after every edit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Griff wrote:
Hi
I have a document which needs to be printed double sided. New
sections should start on a new page, but on an odd page. However, I
want the page numbers to continue.

For example, I put an odd page break after page 9. If printed then
page 9 will print double sided with a blank page on the back (which
is correct). I then want to insert a new odd section, but I want the
page number to start at page 10....(and not 11).

Any ideas. Apologises if this has already been answered, but I have
spent an hour looking through all the messages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Note, however, that this is a very perverse and confusing thing to do.
Publishing convention is that odd pages are always verso (right-hand) pages
and vice versa. That's what readers expect, and you'll only confuse them if
you buck the convention.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

Griff wrote:
Hi
I have a document which needs to be printed double sided. New
sections should start on a new page, but on an odd page. However, I
want the page numbers to continue.

For example, I put an odd page break after page 9. If printed then
page 9 will print double sided with a blank page on the back (which
is correct). I then want to insert a new odd section, but I want the
page number to start at page 10....(and not 11).

Any ideas. Apologises if this has already been answered, but I have
spent an hour looking through all the messages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

True, but for some people perversity is the spice of life. g

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Griff wrote:
Hi
I have a document which needs to be printed double sided. New
sections should start on a new page, but on an odd page. However, I
want the page numbers to continue.

For example, I put an odd page break after page 9. If printed then
page 9 will print double sided with a blank page on the back (which
is correct). I then want to insert a new odd section, but I want
the page number to start at page 10....(and not 11).

Any ideas. Apologises if this has already been answered, but I have
spent an hour looking through all the messages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Griff Griff is offline

Hi, I agree it is very perverse, but when you are putting a document into PDF
format, then the blank pages do not show....so the page numbers jump, for
example page 1,2,3....5...

However, is there a way of creating an IF statement in word. For example,
if the previous page is blank then PAGE NUMBER is -1, otherwise PAGE NUMBER
stays the same.

Sorry to be a pain.

Griff wrote:
Hi
I have a document which needs to be printed double sided. New
sections should start on a new page, but on an odd page. However, I
want the page numbers to continue.

For example, I put an odd page break after page 9. If printed then
page 9 will print double sided with a blank page on the back (which
is correct). I then want to insert a new odd section, but I want
the page number to start at page 10....(and not 11).

Any ideas. Apologises if this has already been answered, but I have
spent an hour looking through all the messages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Although there is an IF field construct, I don't think there's a way to make
it depend on whether the preceding page is blank -- the field doesn't know
anything about the preceding page.

But "printing" to PDF is quite different from printing on paper; for one
thing, there's no concept of "duplex" in PDF. Make a copy of your document
specifically for PDF conversion, and fix it up as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nPgEndChap.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman