Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Default Same document paginating differently on different computers

I created a 297-page manual for a client in WORD, designing a new template
for it. This document will be PDFed and printed. I used hard page breaks to
allow for how the PDFed version can be condensed and sometimes include the
first couple of lines of the next page on the output.

When two clients opened the file I e-mailed to them, it was 324 pages,
rather than the 297 pages in my version. Were all running WORD 2003, SP2.

The client sent the file (which opened at 324 pages on his machine) back to
me and its still 297 pages on my machine. We verified the margins on our
respective computers, and theyre the same. Were all set to print on 8-1/2€¯
by 11€¯ paper. Since I havent sent them the new template yet, I tried
attaching my file to Normal template to see if that would change anything.
When I re-opened it, the file was still 297 pages.

The page numbers and cross-references are dynamic, of course, so this may
not be a problem, but Im concerned since I set the hard page breaks. Im
scratching my head. Would someone please shed some light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

To add more clarification... This is NOT the page X of Y problem. I've set
the page numbers in headers. They appear correctly in both my WORD doc. and
my PDFed file, where they show 297 pages.

Apologies for this showing up twice. I thought I sent it once.

"Bothell writer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The cause is usually having different printer drivers on the different
machines. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Bothell writer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Thanks for the link. I'm curious how setting Page Break Before for the
paragraph differs from Ctrl + Enter? Since the file will be turned over
to non-writers for maintaining, I thought that hard page breaks would
be more obvious and easier for them to use than setting Page Break
Before for each paragraph, as I had originally done. (I've found that
the subtle on-screen designation for Page Break Before often throws
non-writers.)

It also may be because the client uses esoteric fonts -- Belizio
Medium, TradeGothic LH Extended, and TradeGothic Condensed Eighteen.
I've installed those fonts on my machine but the Font Substitution
dialog shows that Times New Roman is substituted for Belizio and Arial
for the Trade Gothic fonts. I've installed the fonts on my machine, but
haven't been successful locating a print driver for my HP printer for
those fonts.

I've asked the client which printer driver is set up so I'll try to set
it up using that driver.

PDFing the file is not an option because the company's Graphics dept.
needs to add graphics before printing.

"Bothell writer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Page break before" will not solve the reflow problem. It's best to control
flow with "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" except when you want
text *always* to start a new page regardless of how much is on the previous
page (at the beginning of a chapter or section, for example).

ups.com...