Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KR KR is offline

Default Forms trouble- locking only one section, leaving second section unlocked for text entry

I'm corresponding with another user, trying to help him design a survey. He
is using the forms toolbar, and has put a bunch of checkboxes (in a table)
in section 1, followed by a continuous section break that includes a few
questions for free text entry by the respondents.

When locking the form, it doesn't provide the option to only lock section 1,
so the whole form ends up locked and when the user clicks on the questions
in section 2 to provide free-form answers, the visible document
automatically pops back to the top of the document.

Can someone share the trick to keeping different sections unlocked?

I'm using Word2003, the person I'm helping I think is using Word 2000.

Thanks!
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Instead of using the padlock button on the Forms toolbar, use Tools |
Protect Document. In Word 2000, the user should get a fairly straightforward
dialog that allows him to select which sections to protect. It's a bit more
complicated in Word 2003, but that won't affect him.

"KR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Kr,

I'm corresponding with another user, trying to help him design a survey. He
is using the forms toolbar, and has put a bunch of checkboxes (in a table)
in section 1, followed by a continuous section break that includes a few
questions for free text entry by the respondents.

When locking the form, it doesn't provide the option to only lock section 1,
so the whole form ends up locked and when the user clicks on the questions
in section 2 to provide free-form answers, the visible document
automatically pops back to the top of the document.

Can someone share the trick to keeping different sections unlocked?

I'm using Word2003, the person I'm helping I think is using Word 2000.

In Word 2000: Tools/Protect document displays a dialog box (not a task pane
like in 2003). In that dialog box, once the option to protect as a FORM is
activated, a button named "Section" should be available. Click on the button
and the same list you see in Word 2003 should appear where the sections are
listed. Make sure there's a checkmark next to Section 1 and no checkmark next
to Section 2.

If your friend isn't getting the Sections list, make sure he's really inserted
a section break :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org