Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AdminDee AdminDee is offline

Default hide white space

Every document I open is hiding white space even if I save it with white
space showing. Even if I save a document with white space showing and then
re-open it the hide white space option is turned on again. How do I keep
this from happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dallas64 Dallas64 is offline

I plagiarizedthis from the Help Menu. This is a toggle switch, so you can
select it and the white space will come back:

"You can hide white space by default by clicking Options on the Tools menu
and clearing the White space between pages check box on the View tab. "

"AdminDee" wrote:

Every document I open is hiding white space even if I save it with white
space showing. Even if I save a document with white space showing and then
re-open it the hide white space option is turned on again. How do I keep
this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AdminDee AdminDee is offline

Yes, and this is my problem. I make sure to clear the hide white space
option on the view tab and then save my document. When I re-open the
document the hide white space has checked itself and the white space is
hidden again.

"AdminDee" wrote:

Every document I open is hiding white space even if I save it with white
space showing. Even if I save a document with white space showing and then
re-open it the hide white space option is turned on again. How do I keep
this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dallas64 Dallas64 is offline

My second crack at it: this may be a Normal.dot template problem.

1. I don't know whether this is necessary, but I close all open documents
before I mess with the Normal.dot.
2. Open Normal.dot. When you select open, you will have to change the file
type from 'Word Document (*.doc)' to 'Document Templates (*.dot).' If you
are not sure where your Normal.dot template is, close the "Open File" dialog
box. Go to Tools, Options, File Locations. The location for User Templates
is what you are looking for. I forget the default location, because I
changed mine so that it would be in a location that backs up every night on
our system. Once you know that, go back to the open dialog box and open
Normal.dot.
3. Once you have opened Normal.dot, then go to the Tools, Options, View and
deselect the white space as you have tried before. Then save and close.
4. Open your other document again. You will probably have to change the
file type in the "Open File" dialog box back to Word Document (*.doc) for
word to locate your documents.

If that doesn't work, then this is a problem beyond me. . .

"AdminDee" wrote:

Every document I open is hiding white space even if I save it with white
space showing. Even if I save a document with white space showing and then
re-open it the hide white space option is turned on again. How do I keep
this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AdminDee AdminDee is offline

I had already read this article and it did not help. Dallas64 - THANKS for
your help. I don't know why it worked but it did! When I opened my
normal.dot the option I wanted was already selected but I saved it anyway and
when I open the otehr files now it opens correctly. Much appreciated!