Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

Default Default "Save As" Filename

Is there a way to stop Word from filling in a filename when a file is first
saved? I find the need to delete the suggested filename annoying.

I found this: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/SetDefFilename.htm
on the Word MVP site, but assuming I'm understanding it correctly, it seems
to deal with a one-time fix rather than a global (everytime) change. I'd
like the filename box to be empty the first time I save a file. Is this
possible?

I'm using Word 2003, version 11.8026.8036, on a Win XP machine, also fully
patched (BOMK, anyway :-) )

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

There is no need to delete the filename. By default, as soon as you select
Save for a new document, the File, SaveAs dialog opens with the suggested
filename already active (selected and highlighted). Just pressing any
character will replace the suggested file name so there is no need to make
any effort to either select or delete the filename.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message
Is there a way to stop Word from filling in a filename when a file is
first saved? I find the need to delete the suggested filename annoying.

I found this: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/SetDefFilename.htm
on the Word MVP site, but assuming I'm understanding it correctly, it
seems to deal with a one-time fix rather than a global (everytime) change.
I'd like the filename box to be empty the first time I save a file. Is
this possible?

I'm using Word 2003, version 11.8026.8036, on a Win XP machine, also fully
patched (BOMK, anyway :-) )

Thanks,

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

Thanks for the uber-quick reply, Terry, but I guess I forgot to include a
step in my description of the problem. Yes, the name is highlighted when
first hitting "Save As," but after navigating to the appropriate directory
(folder) in which the document will be saved, that highlighting is gone,
necessitating the deletion. Is this a case of needing to name the file
before navigating?

Thanks,
Dan

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

No - After navigating to the desired location just press the Tab key to
shift the focus back to the name box, then type the filename.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel-San Daniel-San is offline

Aha! An easy solution.

Thank you Bob and Terry for the replies.

Dan
(who was worried it would involve regedit or some other ghastly task)