Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

Default "page set up" issue

This option is grayed out and not available to alter page settings. How can I
correct this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do you have a document open? Is the document protected in any way?

"Kimberly" wrote in message
This option is grayed out and not available to alter page settings. How

can I
correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a document open?
REPLY: yes - a new blank document

Is the document protected in any way?
REPLY: no

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do you have a default printer selected in Start | Control Panel |
Printers and Faxes?

Kimberly wrote:

This option is grayed out and not available to alter page settings. How can I
correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Do you have a default printer selected in Start | Control Panel |
Printers and Faxes?

REPLY from Kim: Yes, and I checked to make sure the default was set to
"letter" and the proper tray.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that the cursor is not in a text box or frame when trying to
access the Page Setup dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kimberly" wrote in message
This option is grayed out and not available to alter page settings.
How can I correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

I'm not sure what you mean. When I open Word, the default page is open and
you can't get the curser out of the text box on that blank page.

It seems to me there is an issue with the default page that I can't figure
out. What's really driving me crazy is that the default page is legal so
every new doc I try to create is legal when I want it letter. And there are
times I want to change other settings to the default page.

"Kimberly" wrote in message
This option is grayed out and not available to alter page settings.
How can I correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I was referring to the object inserted via Insert | Text Box. A blank
page in Word does not use text boxes; you just fill it with text.

Perhaps you need to recreate the blank document template (normal.dot).
See the "Creating a new Normal.dot from scratch" section in the
article at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kimberly" wrote in message
This option is grayed out and not available to alter page

settings.
How can I correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

Stefan, you're really close to helping me by suggesting I modify normal.dot.
I didn't know the name of this file or even where to find it. It made me pay
attention to what default page opens when I open Word or click on "new blank
document"... it's call document1. If I close that file and try again, it just
keeps opening document2,3,4,etc. So my question changes... and I can't seem
to find the answer in "help". How do I change the default file, when I open
Word or request a "new blank document, to "Notebook" (notebook.got)? My
notebook.dot file is perfect with no "page setup" issues.