Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Theresa Theresa is offline

Default Edit fields with switches

I have been trying to make an ALL CAPS field only capitalize the first letter
then lower case the following. I have used the help file and added switches
but it doesn't work. There must be something I am missing. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Let's suppose your text is "THE QUICK BROWN FOX" , you use Alt-F9 to reveal
your field code and it says

{ MERGEFIELD myfield }

(If there is anything else in there such as \*Charformat or \*Mergeformat,
delete it for the moment)

1. change it to

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*lower }

Select if, press F9 to re-execute it (actually, just a precaution), and
preview the result.

If you see "the quick brown fox" then go to step 2. Otherwise, I wonder if
somehow you have applied a font that is a "small caps" font (i.e. where
there are no "lower case" versions of the letters)?

2. If the \*lower worked, change the field to

{ MERGEFIELD myfield \*lower \*firstcap }

Select if, press F9 to re-execute it (actually, just a precaution), and
preview the result.

If you see "The quick brown fox", then it looks like we're OK, so test the
merge. If not, what do you see?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk