Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mal Mal is offline

Default Sending a Word doc. attachment

I sent a correspondent a 100 page Word 07 email-attachment document that
consisted of plain Courier font text. I got this reply: I cannot read the
file as a Word file. (Even renaming the file from being a "xdoc" file type to
a "doc" file type I still cannot read it as a word file - it just has lots of
unknown characters, and is not a word file. Any suggestions on how I can
solve the problem? Thanks.

Mal
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your recipient has Word 2003 or earlier, then you need to "save as"
to a Word 97-2003 .doc file and email that, or your recipient can
install the Office 2007 compatibility pack as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=923505 "How to install the Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack so that you can use earlier versions of Excel,
PowerPoint, and Word to open and to save files from 2007 Office programs".

Mal wrote:

I sent a correspondent a 100 page Word 07 email-attachment document that
consisted of plain Courier font text. I got this reply: I cannot read the
file as a Word file. (Even renaming the file from being a "xdoc" file type to
a "doc" file type I still cannot read it as a word file - it just has lots of
unknown characters, and is not a word file. Any suggestions on how I can
solve the problem? Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are sending it as a .docx document, then the recipient won't be able
to read it without having either Word 2007 or the compatibility pack. Save
it as a Word 97-2003 format .doc file instead.

"Mal" wrote in message

I sent a correspondent a 100 page Word 07 email-attachment document that
consisted of plain Courier font text. I got this reply: I cannot read

the
file as a Word file. (Even renaming the file from being a "xdoc" file type

a "doc" file type I still cannot read it as a word file - it just has lots

of
unknown characters, and is not a word file. Any suggestions on how I can
solve the problem? Thanks.

Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Mal wrote:
I sent a correspondent a 100 page Word 07 email-attachment document
that consisted of plain Courier font text. I got this reply: I
cannot read the file as a Word file. (Even renaming the file from
being a "xdoc" file type to a "doc" file type I still cannot read it
as a word file - it just has lots of unknown characters, and is not a
word file. Any suggestions on how I can solve the problem? Thanks.

Mal

Click the Office button, hover over the Save As item, and choose "Word
97-2003 document". That will save the document in the old file format with
the .doc extension. (Simply renaming a Word 2007 file's extension from .docx
to .doc doesn't change the format.)

If you have to send a lot of files to other users who don't have Word 2007,
you can save yourself some trouble by setting the default file type to Word
97-2003 format in the Word Options dialog.

There's also a compatibility pack that your correspondent could download to
be able to read 2007-format files, but it's a rather large download.

Regards,
Jay Freedman