Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rubens_Santos Rubens_Santos is offline

Default Trouble when updating cross-references to other document

Hi,

I am using word 2002 SP3 (office XP) and I am having trouble with
cross-references to items that are in other document. Fistly I insert the
whole other document using INSERT TEXT (as a link) and it works fine. I can
insert cross-references to the items of a numbered list in the source doc.
But when I select all (ctrl+A) and press F9 for the second time the cross
references get wrong, I mean they turn in to the error message "source not
found" as if I had deleted the source items.

Is it a bug ? Is there any other way to build those cross-references ? I
have also tried it on word2007 and it didn't work neither.

Thank you very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_2_] Jose Valdes[_2_] is offline

Try creating a named bookmark (Insert-Bookmark) in your source file. In the
target file, insert an X-ref to your named bookmark instead of another
reference type such as "numbered item" or "heading". Hope that helps.

"Rubens_Santos" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using word 2002 SP3 (office XP) and I am having trouble with
cross-references to items that are in other document. Fistly I insert the
whole other document using INSERT TEXT (as a link) and it works fine. I
can
insert cross-references to the items of a numbered list in the source doc.
But when I select all (ctrl+A) and press F9 for the second time the cross
references get wrong, I mean they turn in to the error message "source not
found" as if I had deleted the source items.

Is it a bug ? Is there any other way to build those cross-references ? I
have also tried it on word2007 and it didn't work neither.

Thank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rubens_Santos[_2_] Rubens_Santos[_2_] is offline

Hi Jose,

thank you for your tip, it worked fine, but it does not seem to be pratical
to my purpose. I have a long numbered list of bibliographical references in a
source file. I need to make some references the numbered items in each
chapter file. This list isn't ready, I use to include, change position, etc.
of the items.

I could add a bookmark for each reference (dozens) but they are not dragged
with the copy and paste command, etc. when I am editing the list. They are
difficult to deal with.

Is there other pactical way to do that ?

Thank you a lot.