Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joanne Joanne is offline

Default If a field is blank, close the empty space

Hello,
We are using Word 2003 and have a simple merge to do with a form letter. We
are addressing the letters to FirstName Middle Initial LastName but if there
is no middle initial we just want the first name and the last name. What's
happening is that we're getting two spaces after the first name. Is there a
way we can close this up? Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a conditional field to place the initial and its associated space eg

{Mergefield Firstname} {IF {Mergefield Initial} "" "{Mergefield Initial}
"}{Mergefield LastName}

You will have to insert this by hand using CTRL+F9 for each pair of field
brackets {} and ensure that the fieldnames match the names in your data.