Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fidelio1st fidelio1st is offline

Default Mail Merge Error

[I posted this under my other posting, but felt I should give own subject, so
if answered under other, no need to duplicate, thanks]

I exported my Entourage Address Book to a CSV file. When I do a data merge,
it comes up with an error that says: "Record 16 does not have the same number
as the first row in ContactsExport.csv. Ensure all the records have the same
number of fields."

So I deleted all columns after the last one with a header. I even deleted
row 16 and saved under a different file name, then reopened in the data
merge, and it came up with the same error. (FYI there are 1465 records/rows
of contacts)

How do I fix this? Is the csv corrupted? I've tried exporting a couple
different times.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Convert the text to a table in Word and merge again using the table as a
data source.
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

fidelio1st wrote:
[I posted this under my other posting, but felt I should give own
subject, so if answered under other, no need to duplicate, thanks]

I exported my Entourage Address Book to a CSV file. When I do a data
merge, it comes up with an error that says: "Record 16 does not have
the same number as the first row in ContactsExport.csv. Ensure all
the records have the same number of fields."

So I deleted all columns after the last one with a header. I even
deleted row 16 and saved under a different file name, then reopened
in the data merge, and it came up with the same error. (FYI there are
1465 records/rows of contacts)

How do I fix this? Is the csv corrupted? I've tried exporting a
couple different times.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fidelio1st fidelio1st is offline

Hi Graham,
Thanks for responding. I don't understand what you mean. I exported my
data from Entourage Address Book into a .csv file. So it's already in a
table in excel. I'm not sure what you mean by having it as text in Word. I
know how to covert text to table, but I'm not sure how I get the text from
the csv file, or why I would do that?

The problem I'm having is with the merge, there may be something corrupted
with the csv file, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

Confused.

fidelio1st wrote:
[I posted this under my other posting, but felt I should give own
subject, so if answered under other, no need to duplicate, thanks]

I exported my Entourage Address Book to a CSV file. When I do a data
merge, it comes up with an error that says: "Record 16 does not have
the same number as the first row in ContactsExport.csv. Ensure all
the records have the same number of fields."

So I deleted all columns after the last one with a header. I even
deleted row 16 and saved under a different file name, then reopened
in the data merge, and it came up with the same error. (FYI there are
1465 records/rows of contacts)

How do I fix this? Is the csv corrupted? I've tried exporting a
couple different times.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word can merge from a variety of data sources, but the one it likes best is
a Word table. CSV files can confuse the issue and it seems that yours has a
problem with record 16. Converting the CSV file to a table should eliminate
that problem. If you prefer you can merge directly from an Excel Wordsheet.

Odd Mail Merge error Rhino New Users 0 June 17th 06 04:35 PM
e-mail addresses for Word mail merge have format error cjfi Mailmerge 1 June 5th 06 04:54 PM
Mail Merge Error Tanya Mailmerge 2 January 24th 06 09:35 PM
Mail merge error Pat Mailmerge 1 April 26th 05 06:06 AM
Mail Merge Error Scott May Mailmerge 1 February 14th 05 11:20 PM