Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ftolstykaiii ftolstykaiii is offline

Default Mailmerge from query of ODBC data source

I have this solution load on many PC with varying OS levels and software
levels. Even was working n this PC before a hard drive crash.
This PC - Windows 2002 SP4, Word 2002 SP3 and iSeries Access ODBC driver
level 10.00.10.00.

I use Microsoft Query to access data on an IBM iSeries. This query is then
the merge datasource.

Im able to go through all the steps of attaching the data to the word
document, but after the last step I get 'xxx.doc is a .... document. Word
cannot find it's data source'. This loop keeps happening.

So I decided to start a new document and try to attach the data to the new
document. Im able to complete all the steps, but after the last step I
receive 'Word was unable to open the data source'

Like i said in the beginning, I do this on many other PCs. I don't have any
idea of what is going on. This isn't that difficult!

Thank you,
Frank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against "Confirm coversions at open"

After doing that, when you attach the data source, you will be asked for the
method by which the connection should be made and if you try the various
options you may find one that works.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ftolstykaiii" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ftolstykaiii ftolstykaiii is offline

Yes I know of that option, but I do not use that anywhere else. It was a
working solution on that PC without that option selected.

Frank

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab