Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gail Gail is offline

Default Creating a document containing merged paragraphs depending on trig

I want to create a report in Word using paragraphs stored elsewhere.

I am an accountant, and want to write reports for my clients which say, for
example if their gross profit margin is in the range of X - X% then we would
use paragraph (a) but if outside of this range use paragraph (b).

Obviously, there could be lots of paragraphs which we could select from
using the different rations or triggers that a relevant in a business.

I realise this is probably and advance feature and I am only an intermediate
level user to simple instructions would be appreciated. I know it can be
done as I have seen it elsewhere, but do not have the knowledge of the
mechanicsl.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use and If...then...Else field construction to check the value in the
mergefield for gross profit margin and had it make use of IncludeText fields
to return the relevant pagagraph depending upon the value

The construction would be something like

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Gross Profit Margin" } X { INCLUDETEXT
"C:/filename.doc" Paragrapha } { INCLUDETEXT "C:/filename.doc"
Paragraphb } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle of their display.

Replace "C:/filename.doc" with the path and filename for the file that
contains the text that you want to use and in that file, select the text
that you want to use and the insert bookmarks (Paragrapha and Paragraphb
have been assumed above) to identify the text that you want to have inserted
into the merged document.

You will probably need to update the fields in the resulting document
(Ctrl+A, then F9) to see the result.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.