Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bee Bee is offline

Default Results Preview no displaying addresses in each field!

Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

-- Bee... sorry I can't help but I'm experiencing the exact issue. However,
I have my address list (for Christmas cards) neatly created in an Excel work
sheet but when I use WordToolsLetters & MailingsMail MergeLabels etc it
doesn't work. (I think my problem may have something to do with the Browse to
the saved file part...)

BTW: how does a newbee to the Discussion broup post a New question?

Thanks for your help

"Bee" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have to end up with the address block in /all/ the label cells, and
the Next record field at the beginning of all the cells except the
first.

Typically that will happen if you start by putting the addressblock in the
first label cell and use the Propagate labels function to do the rest.

However, on some systems (Tablet PCs and perhaps some Vista PCs with the
tablet functionality installed) that doesn't work and causes problems - to
fix that, you can try e.g. http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0005.htm

Peter Jamieson

"Bee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have missed the step where you propogate the set up in the first label
to the other labels on the sheet..

See the article "Mail Merge to Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at

I would also caution against using the Address Block. It causes grief for
many people and you are probably better just inserting the individual merge
fields in the configuration that you want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the article "Mail Merge to Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at

There is a "New" button that you click to start a new thread

--

"Bee" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label
maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and
the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

Ah ha, I'll try it and report back.
--
Thanks for your help

"Bee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

This HKEY-CURRENTE_USER et al thing has become an obstacle for me... How can
I access it? I tried a "search" but was a headend.
--
Thanks for your help

"Bee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which particular registry fix do you need to apply? The usual one is the one
described in

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765/en-us

which also tells you how to change the registry.

Peter Jamieson

"Bee" wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

Hey, It worked, 'cept that I forgot to allow for proper spacing between
fields here and there but I was able to manual adjust. Thank you so much.
--
Thanks for your help

"Bee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What
am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one
page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bee Bee is offline

Hi John,

My friend and I worked on the merge for 3 hours this morning and figured it
out.
I viewed the demo and followed it step by step BUT the demo failed to add in
you need to click on "UPDATE LABELS" prior to the PREVIEW... Here is what I
did;

1.) Click on Start Merged file - select staiton (label, envelops etc..)
2.) Select Avery code number listed on the package of you labels
3.) Click on Select Reciepts; (my file was in excel) MS will add NEXT
RECORD to each label except first label
4.) Edit Recipient List (delete any blank records) OKAY
5.) Address Block; Map fields - first label will be coded with
addressBLock 6.) 6.) Click ON "UPDATE LABELS"will look like this «Next
7.) click on "Preview Results address will appear!!!

To add a new discussion - click on NEW in the discussion database

Does anyone know how to SAVE and forward the updated lable file without
having to send the orginal excel file?

thanks

"Bee" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to merge a file with 100 mail addresses using the label maker.
I have successfully add the address block in the first cell, and the
next record in the following cells. When I press preview results
address only populates in the fist field and the others are blank. What am
I doing wrong?
I have gone through step by step instructions as indicated in the demo...
but my labels informaiton does not display in each cell.

Also, if I have merged 100 mail addresses shouldn't I have more then one page?

I"m using Avery 5160...

thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not sure to what you are referring when you mention "the demo"

The link to which I referred you contains the following:

All that remains, is to reproduce the finished layout in the other cells.
The highlighted icon in the toolbar below, will 'propagate' the data into
the remaining labels with the correct insertion of the 'Next Record' field
at the start of the subsequent labels.
Unquote

To save the labels that you have created, execute the merge to a new
document.