Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
elk elk is offline

Default funky blank box after 'print' command

After a print command in a big merged document, I get this odd little box
that is completely blank but won't go away unless I click "ok" about four
times. What is it, what does it want, how can I make it go away?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you mean a { PRINT } field or do you mean after you initiate the merge ?
If it's a PRINT field, can you tell us what is in it? Is the "odd little
box" a dialog box or what? e.g. does it have a close button in the top right
corner, a title etc.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"elk" wrote in message
After a print command in a big merged document, I get this odd little box
that is completely blank but won't go away unless I click "ok" about four
times. What is it, what does it want, how can I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
elk elk is offline

I wish I could attach a screen shot of this box. It is a small box, it says
"Microsoft Office Word" in the title bar, with a red "X" and "help" question
mark in the upper right hand corner, a blank area in which I can type, and
"OK" and "Cancel" buttons in the lower right corner. That's all there is. I
am working with a large mail merge document, and this box appears around the
same time that Word insists on repagination after I click "OK" to begin
printing any part of the document.

"elk" wrote in message
After a print command in a big merged document, I get this odd little box
that is completely blank but won't go away unless I click "ok" about four
times. What is it, what does it want, how can I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does your document have any macros in it? Or is it attached to a template
that has macros in it?

More likely, does it have any ASK or FILLIN fields in it (if youre
unfamiliar with fields, use Alt-F9 to display the field codes, which would
look something like { ASK "stuff" } or { FILLIN "stuff" }) ? If it does,
it's possible that they are not in the main dbody of the document - e.g.
might be in a header/footer, or perhaps a text box, so have a good look
around, or write some VBA to look for them (I can provide something if
necessary).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

?

"elk" wrote in message
After a print command in a big merged document, I get this odd little
box
that is completely blank but won't go away unless I click "ok" about
four
times. What is it, what does it want, how can I make it go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
elk elk is offline

It may have macros - but this is a problem that only cropped up when I
upgraded to Word 2007. There are no 'ask' or 'fillin' form-type fields. The
data source is an Access table (rather, several of them). It's a pretty big
ginormous document, with multiple sections & a TOC, etc., but it never did
this before upgrading to W07.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Ok, I'm not sure any of the following are relevant, but...
a. which version of Word/Access did you upgrade from?
b. did you have to go through Word's data source selection dialog box to
select your Access table/query after you upgraded?
c. if you can tell, are you connecting via DDE, ODBC or OLE DB
d. did you also upgrade to Access 2007?
e. does your query use wildcards?

--
Peter Jamieson