Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Daniel Nelson Daniel Nelson is offline

Default Word 07 cannot save file after merging - system generated name

Greetings!

I use Word 07 to open a Word 03 mail merge main document, then run merge
using Word 03 source - I can edit contacts or change sources without issue.
When closing main document, I get a prompt "Sj67yt.doc is a mail merge main
document that is attached to a data source...that has not been saved. Do you
want to save Sj67yt.doc?"

While "Sj67yt.doc" should actually show the main file's name, it does not
- this is system generated, and changes from attempt to attempt. Also, it
fails with a Read-only access message.

Has anyone else seen this? I know I can change the data source to a new
XLSX or DOCX file, but I was hoping my customers wouldn't have to recreate
all their sources.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Daniel Nelson[_2_] Daniel Nelson[_2_] is offline

Peter -

Thanks much for replying. The files do reside on network drives, but I
believe the issue follows even when they are copied locally (I will be
verifying that today).

Can you point me to any info from MS on this? I'd like to bring this up
to our TAM (we are an EA and Select customer) but it helps if I can point to
their own info.

Thanks again,

Daniel

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Are these data sources on network drives? And do they work if they are moved
to local hard drives? If so, the answer is that this problem has been
noticed and brought to Microsoft's attention. However, I do not work for
Microsoft and do not know what the timetable for a fix might be.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Daniel Nelson" Daniel wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you point me to any info from MS on this?

Unfortunately not. It may be worth making your own report to Microsoft,
particularly if you think the issue also affects data sources on local
drives.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk