Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
UFGator UFGator is offline

Default There are no synonyms in Word 2007

Hi. When I right click on a word and select "synonyms" is always says "(no
suggestions)" and it is "greyed out". This always worked for me in Word '97.
When I select the "Thesaurus" option I get the error message "No Thesaurus
is available for English (U.S).", but then it does come up with a panel on
the right showing the Encarta Dictionary listing for the chosen word. How do
I get the synonym function to work?
Thanks,
Joel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Joel,

If you select the text and use Shift+F1 to bring up the 'Reveal Formatting' pane what language does it show for the text? If it
shows 'Do not check Spelling or Grammar' and you have not run F7 spell check there is no language set for that text for Word to know
where to look for the Synonyms. If there is a language set the right click should put the synonyms in Word 2007 in the right click
menu without a need to drill down to an additional level. (i.e. you won't see the 'Synonyms' submenu if the text has a language
applied.

For the additional resources such as online dictionaries, at the bottom of the 'Research Pane' [panel] that comes up choose the
'Research options' link to see what Dictionary and Synomymn resources are marked as available.

=============================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
UFGator UFGator is offline

Hi Bob,
Thanks for responding to my question. I did Shift+F1 the languages that
come up are "(Asian) Japanese" followed by "(other) English (U.S.)". When a
word is spelled wrong I can right click on it and it will give me the correct
spelling. When I do this there is also an option for "language" and it is
set to "English U.S." and is "checked" on. F7 seems to spell check just
fine. In the "Research Options" link I have "Encarta Dictionary: English
(North America)" checked as well as several of the U.S. research sites.
Joel

synonyms gale Microsoft Word Help 1 December 10th 07 01:09 PM
How do I activate synonyms function (left click word...)? acottingham Microsoft Word Help 1 October 4th 07 06:13 AM
How do I customize the list of synonyms in Word Frank Byl Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 07 02:27 PM
synonyms Adriana Malamud Microsoft Word Help 0 April 25th 06 08:14 PM
Synonyms in Word Angela Microsoft Word Help 1 March 25th 06 12:53 PM