Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Pate Tim Pate is offline

Default Chapter Numbering - Word 2007

I want to number all my heading in a Word document as follows:
Heading 1 numbered as 1.
Heading 2 numbered as 1.1

If I add another Heading 2 within Heading 1, I want the number to be 1.2.

So it would look something like this:
1. Introduction
1.1 System Features.
1.2 Getting Started.

2. Screen Reference.
2.1 The First Screen.
2.2 The Second Screen

Is it possible to do this automatically in Word?
--
Tim Pate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Yes it is usually referred to as Legal Outline in prior Word versions and in
2007 Multilevel List
On active doc screen Home Tab
Paragraph Group
3rd top button select Multilevel List
Mouse over Heading 1
1,
1.1.
1.1.1.
And set a Quick Styles if you want and provide a group style and so on....
Hope this gets you started

"Tim Pate" wrote in message
I want to number all my heading in a Word document as follows:
Heading 1 numbered as 1.
Heading 2 numbered as 1.1

If I add another Heading 2 within Heading 1, I want the number to be 1.2.

So it would look something like this:
1. Introduction
1.1 System Features.
1.2 Getting Started.

2. Screen Reference.
2.1 The First Screen.
2.2 The Second Screen

Is it possible to do this automatically in Word?
--
Tim Pate

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Home tab, click Multilevel List (in the Paragraph group), and then
click Define New Multilevel List. Under "List Library," pick the predefined
"1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3" format.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tim Pate" wrote in message
I want to number all my heading in a Word document as follows:
Heading 1 numbered as 1.
Heading 2 numbered as 1.1

If I add another Heading 2 within Heading 1, I want the number to be 1.2.

So it would look something like this:
1. Introduction
1.1 System Features.
1.2 Getting Started.

2. Screen Reference.
2.1 The First Screen.
2.2 The Second Screen

Is it possible to do this automatically in Word?
--
Tim Pate

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Pate Tim Pate is offline

Summer,
thanks for taking the trouble to supply an answer - I appreciate it and it
has solved my issue.
--
Tim Pate