Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

Default strange problem with TOC hyperlinks and dot leaders

I'm going nuts trying to make a nice PDF file of a reference manual.

In Word 2002, my TOC is hyperlinked, and with the control key held
down I can click anywhere on a line to follow the link. I can click
on the text, the dot leader, or the page number.

When I make a PDF using Adobe Acrobat 7.0, it behaves the same way
except only the text and page number are hyperlinked, not the dot
leader.

I created a small practice document with just a few Headings 1 & 2,
and a TOC like the one in my manual. In Word the hyperlinks behave
the same way as in my reference manual, but in PDF the entire line is
hyperlinked just like I want it! Including the dot leaders. I've
been fiddling endlessly with Word settings and Acrobat settings trying
the get the dot leaders to be hyperlinked, but I just can't get it.

Can anyone tell me why the dot leaders are hyperlinked in one
document, and not another?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] bmurphy@xlrotor.com is offline

I think it's a case of bugs in Acrobat.

I now know now that when starting the PDF creation process in Word, if
the file is large you get prompted about turning off tagging to save
time. If I choose to turn of tagging, the dot leaders don't get
hyperlinked. If I turn on tagging, they do, but many of the
hyperlinked portions of text throughout the document now get
butchered, whereas they all work fine when tagging is turned off. So
I think this is a bug in Acrobat.

Here's another thing that appears to be a bug in Acrobat. If I
hyperlink a line that has plain text at the left margin, and text at
the right margin by using a right aligned tab stop setting, and have
dot leaders turned on. The resulting PDF file does not hyperlink the
dot leaders or the text at the right margin.

I might post this in an Acrobat forum.