Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Default Word 2007 - auto numbering at end of phrase so 2nd line remains same number as the 1st

How could I use incrementing auto numbering to accomplish this common
request in law firms? I've tried Heading 1 and Heading 2 but there is so
much text in the Response phrase that it won't all fit. I've also tried
Field Codes, but it also increases the number in the Response phrase. The
Interrogatory and the Response must have the same number.
INTERROGATORY NO. 1:
RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. 1:
INTERROGATORY NO. 2:
RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. 2:
etc.

This would be a great help if someone could figure out how to do this.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
askteam askteam is offline

Take one step back. Understand what you are trying to do and read this
article from Shauna Kelly

http://www.soi12.com/office/story.ph...line_numbering
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That is a really terrible link (display on my screen is atrocious) and in
any case not a direct link to Shauna's article, which is at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"askteam" wrote in message
Take one step back. Understand what you are trying to do and read this
article from Shauna Kelly

http://www.soi12.com/office/story.ph...line_numbering

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Thanks for your comments. Believe me, I have done my research before coming
to you with this problem. Outline Heading styles don't work because the
text is too long to fit. And Shauna's article has been well read and
absorbed. However, it doesn't answer my specific questions as posted. BTW,
that link is a mess and doesn't have any answers.

"askteam" wrote in message
Take one step back. Understand what you are trying to do and read this
article from Shauna Kelly

http://www.soi12.com/office/story.ph...line_numbering

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Please clarify "I've tried Heading 1 and Heading 2 but there is so much text
in the Response phrase that it won't all fit": fit into what?

Terry

"askteam" wrote in message
Take one step back. Understand what you are trying to do and read this
article from Shauna Kelly

http://www.soi12.com/office/story.ph...line_numbering

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I believe the issue here (which has arisen before) is that you can't use
auto numbering for:

INTERROGATORY NO. 1:
RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. 1:
INTERROGATORY NO. 2:
RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. 2:

because there is a limit to the amount of text you can have before the auto
number, and "RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. " is excessive.

An approach that would work, though it would not be entirely automatic,
would be to use SEQ fields. This could be handled in either of two ways:

1. Use a { SEQ Int } field for the Interrogatories and a { SEQ Res } field
for the Responses.

2. Use a { SEQ Int } field for the Interrogatories and a { SEQ Int \c }
field for the Responses.

In either case, the entire phrase (INTERROGATORY NO. { SEQ Int }: ) could be
saved as an AutoText entry (building block) for ease of insertion. SEQ
fields do have to be updated manually, so at the outset (until you updated
the fields), all the interrogatories and responses would be numbered 1, but
provided they are sequential and no numbers are omitted, this would work.

"askteam" wrote in message
Take one step back. Understand what you are trying to do and read this
article from Shauna Kelly

http://www.soi12.com/office/story.ph...line_numbering

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Okay, I will use Sequence codes as you suggested. I wanted to be sure there
wasn't another method before I used Sequence codes. Thanks for the detailed
explanation.