Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michele Michele is offline

Default Creating MS WORD files using Abby Fine Reader

We were using Abby Fine Reader 8.0 and currently upgraded to 9.0. We are
using MS Word 2003 with Windows XP. We have 25 manuals that we are currently
OCRing to create intelligent text, in this particular case our delivery
requires MS Word and a .pdf of each updated manual.

Has anyone else used Abby Fine to create OCR to word?

We've gone thru the manuals one time and noticed some pages didn't come out
as clean so we have extracted these pages only, redone them BUT now that we
are trying to replace the isolated pages, there are some uncharacteristic
occurances happening. For example, in the master file, I've removed the bad
pages and try to insert the file containing the newer pages, the formatting
become jumbled. In another instance, I've tried to copy a small table and
put it right where the old table was and I lose the format of the table.

Thanks for any assistance.
--
Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The OCR software that creates perfect results has not been invented.
Finereader is arguably the best of the bunch, but it will require a lot of
editing to get anything but a simple document to match the original exactly.

If it was me doing the job, I would OCR to plain text (ie no formatting) and
add the formatting later in Word.

Michele wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michele Michele is offline

Thanks for your ideas. Depending on the size of the manual(s) and the time
allowed, your idea will be implemented.

--
Michele

Michele wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?TWljaGVsZQ==?= wrote in
:

[...]

As Graham has advised, retaining page-layout and formatting in OCR is
less than perfect.

I did a very extensive trial with ABBYY Finereader 9.0 and I can assure
that the software it's leaps and bounds ahead of most OCR softwares.
The PDF OCR capabaility is very unique and well needed addition that
hopefully make its way to all OCR software's eventually.

FineReader offers a change in Word version when performing OCR.
I simply prefer the RTF/Word 6.0 (WordPad) option over newer versions
for my own file formats. The tab settings are more precise for my own
use. In later version of Word, I find the tab settings excessive and to
time consuming for my own documents.