Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Hills Tim Hills is offline

Default Changing Indentation in the Footnote Style

Hello all,

I have changed my footnote style so that it has a hangin indent of 0.2cm,
this means that on the second row of the footnote is inline with the text
above.

This solution works fine when you press shift+enter to get to the next line
but when you press enter (paragraph break) it the loses the hangin indent,
this behavior is what i would expect as you set the indent in the paragrapth
settings of the style.

When you insert a foot note Word inserts the number 1 then a space, if you
type some text where the cursor starts in the footnote then press return you
will be at the beginning of the line (in line with the 1) like so:

1 Some Text (Return)
Next Line Text

I have set a hangin indent so that the text should appear as follows:

1 Some Text (Return)
Next Line Text (The "N" is in line with the "S" rather than the "1")

Now this hanging indent works fine when you type your way on to the next
line or press "shift+return" but if you just press return the "N" will be
inline with the 1. I know this is due to the fact that pressing return breaks
the paragraph and a hangin indent is a pargrapth setting but i was wondering
if there is anything else i can do?

I hope this makes sense but please let me know if you require any
clarification.

Many thanks
Tim Hills
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Tab at the beginning of the following paragraph. Alternatively, create
a Footnote Text Continue style with a left indent equal to the hanging
indent of the Footnote Text style and make it the "Style for following
paragraph" of Footnote Text.

"Tim Hills" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Hills Tim Hills is offline

Perfect, thanks Suzanne, i didn't know about the style for following
paragraph so you have completely resolved my issue.

Really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Tim