Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bri-guy[_2_] Bri-guy[_2_] is offline

Default creating a template

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to make a template for flyers.
Basically my flyers consist of areas of text boxes and pictures. How do I
make it so that the text boxes and picture areas are locked and don't move
around. All I want is to open a tempelate, replace the current pictures with
a new ones, and then type in new text to replace the old text.
*Also I have some areas that I don't want to change, such as my business
contact information at the bottom of the flyer. How do I keep that locked
permanetly?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Bri-guy wrote:
Here is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to make a template for
flyers. Basically my flyers consist of areas of text boxes and
pictures. How do I make it so that the text boxes and picture areas
are locked and don't move around. All I want is to open a tempelate,
replace the current pictures with a new ones, and then type in new
text to replace the old text. *Also I have some areas that I don't
want to change, such as my business contact information at the bottom
of the flyer. How do I keep that locked permanetly?

Thanks.

My best advice would be to choose the proper tool for the job, which in your
case would be Publisher or another page-layout program. Word emphatically is
_not_ a page-layout program, it's an editor.

If you're intent on using Word -- something like using your shoe as a
hammer -- it can be done as long as you're very careful.

Start by inserting a borderless table, with the cells sized to hold the
various pieces. The instructions on how to do this depend on whether you
have Word 2007 or an earlier version. You need to set the AutoFit to "Fixed
Column Width" and specify the row heights.

Although it's possible to put the unchanging text in a separate section
(inserting a section break between the table and that text) and protect only
that section, that would interfere with some other functions -- especially
inserting graphics -- so I recommend that you don't try to protect it. Just
don't edit it. Possibly save a copy of the unchanging text as an AutoText
entry, so you can easily restore it if you accidentally change it.

To recap: Word is not a good tool for this application, and it will cause
you much frustration if you force it to do what it wasn't intended for.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bri-guy[_2_] Bri-guy[_2_] is offline

I mean, I'm just trying to use this for a basic flyer, which I've made in
word and it looks great. I can't really justify the cost of publisher for
such a small task.
My point is that I really like the flyer I created, I just want to lock the
positions of the text boxes and pictures so I can just edit only the text
(but not be able to accidently move the location of the whole text box), and
just drop in new pictures where the current picture exist, with out having to
resize the picture, etc.

I use word 2007.

Thanks for your help.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bri-guy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It's the "just want to lock the positions" part that's very hard to do in Word.
Text boxes and floating graphics don't have fixed positions, they have positions
relative to the text paragraphs in which they're anchored. That is precisely the
difference between a page-layout program and a word processor.

Try the table workaround I described.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bri-guy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bri-guy[_2_] Bri-guy[_2_] is offline

Does it matter that I have my picture and text boxes set to be infront of
everything. I can essentially move the boxes and pictures around freely
anywhere on the page, I don't have any paragraphs tied to them because I
started with a blank page at first.

Also, if I can't do this, then what exactly is a template anyways?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bri-guy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bri-guy[_2_] Bri-guy[_2_] is offline

Do you know the answer to this too:
I just got Office 2007 student teacher edition. In 2003 in word there was an
option to send my document as an inline attachement so it appears when
someone opens their e-mail. How do I do this in 2007. My goal is I make
flyers with word and then e-mail them to clients as e-flyers, so I want them
to automatically appear in their inbox, not as an attachement that they then
have to download.
*I understand that some e-mail programs will screen this out.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Of course it matters. If you can move the pictures and text boxes around freely,
they aren't locked in position. Word can't do both things.

What I'm suggesting is that you put the text into table cells, and put the
pictures into other table cells (in line with text), after you've arranged the
cells where you want the things to be. Then they'll stay where you put them.

A template in Word is _not_ a set of slots that you stick text and pictures
into. It's primarily a container for a set of styles, and optionally some canned
text, macros, and a few other things. For educational purposes, I recommend
reading http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bri-guy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can either send your e-mail in html format (which will include the
formatting) or as plain text, which won't. Either type will accept
attachments.

HTML has different formatting requirements from Word document format so
sending a Word document as e-mail, will alter the formatting to suit the
requirements of HTML. You can see this by switching to web view.

The option to send a document as the body of an e-mail message is still
available in Word 2007. You can add the command 'Send to Mail Recipient'
from the all commands group to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) , but do check
what you are actually sending by using Web view (this would apply equally to
Word 2003).

If you want to ensure the message read is laid out exactly as you created
it, then you need to send it as an attachment in PDF format (for which
you'll need to download the Word 2007 PDF tool from Microsoft).

Bri-guy wrote:
Do you know the answer to this too:
I just got Office 2007 student teacher edition. In 2003 in word
there was an option to send my document as an inline attachement so
it appears when someone opens their e-mail. How do I do this in
2007. My goal is I make flyers with word and then e-mail them to
clients as e-flyers, so I want them to automatically appear in their
inbox, not as an attachement that they then have to download.
*I understand that some e-mail programs will screen this out.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bri-guy[_2_] Bri-guy[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your response... my overall goal is to be able to send an e-mail
with my flyer in the body of the e-mail (not as an attachement). Similar to
an e-flyer.

Two questions:
1) My word 2007 only has the option in the send as either an attacment
(which is greyed out) or as an internet fax. I don't even see that option to
send it in the body of the e-mail (like it used to show in office or word
2003.) I am not using outlook right now, could that have be the reason? I
currently use gmail, but would set up windows mail if that would help? Or
reload outlook 2003, since my student teacher edition of office 07 doesn't
have outlook.

2) Are you saying that if I send something in html that it will
automatically appear in the body of the e-mail?

Sorry for the 20?'s.

Thank you.

Bri-guy wrote:
Do you know the answer to this too:
I just got Office 2007 student teacher edition. In 2003 in word
there was an option to send my document as an inline attachement so
it appears when someone opens their e-mail. How do I do this in
2007. My goal is I make flyers with word and then e-mail them to
clients as e-flyers, so I want them to automatically appear in their
inbox, not as an attachement that they then have to download.
*I understand that some e-mail programs will screen this out.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Bri-guy wrote:
Thanks for your response... my overall goal is to be able to send an
e-mail with my flyer in the body of the e-mail (not as an
attachement). Similar to an e-flyer.

Two questions:
1) My word 2007 only has the option in the send as either an attacment
(which is greyed out) or as an internet fax. I don't even see that
option to send it in the body of the e-mail (like it used to show in
office or word 2003.) I am not using outlook right now, could that
have be the reason? I currently use gmail, but would set up windows
mail if that would help? Or reload outlook 2003, since my student
teacher edition of office 07 doesn't have outlook.

Word is designed to interface with Outlook. I suspect you will need Outlook
present to do this.

2) Are you saying that if I send something in html that it will
automatically appear in the body of the e-mail?

What I am saying is that if you want formatted e-mails, they need to be in
HTML format, which is shown in Word's web view. You have no control over how
the recipient views the messages.

However as it seems unlikely that you will be able to mail directly from
Word using Gmail (unless used as a pop mail served with Outlook), you should
consider creating the message in Gmail's editor, which should be able to
create your flier in html mode.