Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tonyb tonyb is offline

Default How to Edit Old Database (.doc) in Word 2007

I have several old databases created using Word 2003 mail merge, they are
(.doc) files. I need to edit the information contained in these files but
cannot find the update database button and opening the data file only shows
me some of the information.

How do I edit the data in Word 2007?

Does Word 2007 use a different file format for databases? Can data be
imported into Word 2007? What format should it be saved in?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is not clear what you are trying to do. Word doc format can be opened
directly in Word 2007?
However all the earlier merge tools are still available in Word 2007, even
down to the MailMerge Helper from (say) Word 2000.
The Edit Recipient List tool is on the mailings toolbar and you have to
select the Data Source in the bottom window of that dialog for the edit
tools to become available.
Word will work with a variety of data formats, but it is probably happiest
using a Word table.

TonyB wrote:
I have several old databases created using Word 2003 mail merge, they
are (.doc) files. I need to edit the information contained in these
files but cannot find the update database button and opening the data
file only shows me some of the information.

How do I edit the data in Word 2007?

Does Word 2007 use a different file format for databases? Can data be
imported into Word 2007? What format should it be saved in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Recent versions of Word, by default, create a mail merge data source in a
format that is not directly editable in Word (based on an Access file
format, I believe); it can be edited only using the clumsy tools provided by
Word for editing one record at a time. For that reason I prefer to create my
data sources manually in Word (as a table) or Excel.

TonyB wrote:
I have several old databases created using Word 2003 mail merge, they
are (.doc) files. I need to edit the information contained in these
files but cannot find the update database button and opening the data
file only shows me some of the information.

How do I edit the data in Word 2007?

Does Word 2007 use a different file format for databases? Can data be
imported into Word 2007? What format should it be saved in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

True, but that's not the full story. You can still (even in 2007) use the
mail merge helper which will convert the mdb file to a Word document (a
table in Word 2007) which can be edited in Word like any other table.