Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Minni Minni is offline

Default Problem typing / inserting dash in Word 2003

My "-" isn't working in Word. Works in all other MS programs. I can insert
the minus sign on my number pad, but not the dash that is also on the
underscore key. I've been doing that, or inserting the dash as a symbol as a
work-around. I'd like to be able to do it the normal way, though.
I had installed APPIP, a government formatting template, but have since
removed it. I don't know if that caused the problem, but it seems to have
coincided w/ the installation of this tool.
I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that the Ctrl+minus sign on the numeric keypad (for en dash)
and Alt+Ctrl+minus sign on the numeric keypad are not working? Did you check
the key assignments in the Customize Keyboard dialog box?

Does AutoCorrect work?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Minni" wrote:

My "-" isn't working in Word. Works in all other MS programs. I can insert
the minus sign on my number pad, but not the dash that is also on the
underscore key. I've been doing that, or inserting the dash as a symbol as a
work-around. I'd like to be able to do it the normal way, though.
I had installed APPIP, a government formatting template, but have since
removed it. I don't know if that caused the problem, but it seems to have
coincided w/ the installation of this tool.
I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

From the description, the OP isn't able to use the hyphen key to type a
hyphen ("the dash that is also on the underscore key"). In U.S. English, the
hyphen is often referrred to (albeit incorrectly) as a dash. The hyphen
(U002D) is also the character inserted by the "minus" key on the numeric
keypad.

"Minni" wrote:

My "-" isn't working in Word. Works in all other MS programs. I can
insert
the minus sign on my number pad, but not the dash that is also on the
underscore key. I've been doing that, or inserting the dash as a symbol
as a
work-around. I'd like to be able to do it the normal way, though.
I had installed APPIP, a government formatting template, but have since
removed it. I don't know if that caused the problem, but it seems to
have
coincided w/ the installation of this tool.
I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

OK. Well, as far as I know, you cannot reassign the hyphen key, so I don't
know what could be causing the issue. A macro of some sort?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

From the description, the OP isn't able to use the hyphen key to type a

"Minni" wrote:

My "-" isn't working in Word. Works in all other MS programs. I can
insert
the minus sign on my number pad, but not the dash that is also on the
underscore key. I've been doing that, or inserting the dash as a symbol
as a
work-around. I'd like to be able to do it the normal way, though.
I had installed APPIP, a government formatting template, but have since
removed it. I don't know if that caused the problem, but it seems to
have
coincided w/ the installation of this tool.
I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Minni Minni is offline

The macro idea may be it. I saw that there were several macros that were
created around the time I started having the problem. But that is beyond me,
so I will ask our IT guy to check that as a possible source. If we find the
solution, I will post another note.
Thanks for your response!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

OK. Well, as far as I know, you cannot reassign the hyphen key, so I don't
know what could be causing the issue. A macro of some sort?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

From the description, the OP isn't able to use the hyphen key to type a