Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
F. Edwin Felty F. Edwin Felty is offline

Default Pulldown Menus Problem

I'm using Office 2003 on WinXP Pro SP2 + all Updates that I know of. This
started about 4 weeks ago and the problem is that the checkbox for 'Show
full menus all the time' keeps clearing itself when the program is closed
(Word, Publisher and Outlook 2003). I thought it might have to do with
CCleaner, even though I had 'de-clicked' Office completely. I have since
done a reformat and clean install of all the usual programs, except CCleaner
and I still have the problem. I do a clean format and reinstall about every
12-14 months, and have never seen this problem before. Anyone have an Idea
why this checkbox won't stick???

Thanks in Advance!!!

Eddie in Loveland

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are other changes to defaults (such as changing the default font or default
page margins) saved correctly?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"F. Edwin Felty" wrote in message

I'm using Office 2003 on WinXP Pro SP2 + all Updates that I know of. This
started about 4 weeks ago and the problem is that the checkbox for 'Show
full menus all the time' keeps clearing itself when the program is closed
(Word, Publisher and Outlook 2003). I thought it might have to do with
CCleaner, even though I had 'de-clicked' Office completely. I have since
done a reformat and clean install of all the usual programs, except
CCleaner
and I still have the problem. I do a clean format and reinstall about
every
12-14 months, and have never seen this problem before. Anyone have an Idea
why this checkbox won't stick???

Thanks in Advance!!!

Eddie in Loveland

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought, I always change the default font in
Word to Arial Narrow. I checked and it is the default font. Interestingly
enough, the 'sub check box' that says' Show full Menus after a short delay'
always remans checked, but the 'Always show full menus' keeps going away
every time I close any of the three Applications.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

Right, but I did not install ccleaner on the fresh install.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

So this is basically a clean install without any registry cleaners...

There has to be something that is blocking changes to the registry. Try
deleting the Word DataKey and then test changing the setting again.

Word DataKey

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\versio n number\Word\Data

Terry

Right, but I did not install ccleaner on the fresh install.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
So this is basically a clean install without any registry cleaners...

There has to be something that is blocking changes to the registry.
Try deleting the Word DataKey and then test changing the setting
again.
Word DataKey

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\versio n number\Word\Data

Terry

Right, but I did not install ccleaner on the fresh install.

Correct...clean install, no registry cleaners. Will deleting the Key
referenced affect Word, Publisher and Outlook 2003 all?

Also, as a matter of curiosity, I spent an hour yesterday rooting around in
the registry with RegEdit and I found the following:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Toolbar s and one of the entries
is AutoExpandMenus\REG_DWORD\0x00000001 (1)

I exported this key for safety reasons and altered the data value to 0, then
2, then 3. In all three cases, the function of 'Always Show Full Menus' was
enabled in Word and Publisher, but not in Outlook. Further, when I closed
RegEdit and then reopened it, the data value had reverted to the original
setting. So, I'm really bumfuzzled... I''' export the referenced key and see
what happens. Further information to follow.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
So this is basically a clean install without any registry cleaners...

There has to be something that is blocking changes to the registry.
Try deleting the Word DataKey and then test changing the setting
again.
Word DataKey

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\versio n number\Word\Data

Terry

Right, but I did not install ccleaner on the fresh install.

OK, that seems to have fixed Word and Publisher, but Outlook is still out of
whack. Hot Dog!! 2/3rds fixed. Now perhaps someone in the Outlook Groups
will give me another hint.

Thanks again!