Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default odd punctuation in older Word File -- font problem?

When I bring in some older MS Word files into Word 2003, some punctuation in
the file is coming in as an 'A', like this: A We the People,A instead of
quote marks " ". Some punctuation also comes in with @ or odd circles with X
in middle?

Seems like a figurine font, but I cannot get it into normal times roman with
normal punctuation?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is most often a symptom of a document having been created in
WordPerfect using the WP Typographic Symbols font for quotes, dashes, and
the like. This is often not noticed as long as the files stay on computers
with that font installed. As computers are upgraded and the files
transferred, the absence of the font makes the problem very noticeable.
Although you could "solve" (disguise) the problem by installing the font, it
would still be very obvious if you sent the files to someone without the
font installed, so the only solution is usually to replace (with Find and
Replace when possible, manually when necessary) the existing punctuation
with the correct characters from the default paragraph font.

t.com wrote in message
When I bring in some older MS Word files into Word 2003, some punctuation
in
the file is coming in as an 'A', like this: A We the People,A instead of
quote marks " ". Some punctuation also comes in with @ or odd circles with
in middle?

Seems like a figurine font, but I cannot get it into normal times roman
with
normal punctuation?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

thanks. Is there a way to find and install that WP font? I do not think this
file was originally in Wordperfect, but I may have forgotten....

t.com wrote in message
When I bring in some older MS Word files into Word 2003, some punctuation
in
the file is coming in as an 'A', like this: A We the People,A instead of
quote marks " ". Some punctuation also comes in with @ or odd circles with
in middle?

Seems like a figurine font, but I cannot get it into normal times roman
with
normal punctuation?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Googling for "WP Typographic Symbols font" brings up this site, which
appears to offer it for download:
http://www.flyerstarter.com/free-fon...c-Symbols.html.
Another site that purports to have it is
http://www.pickafont.com/fonts/W/Wp%...icsymbols.html, but the
display is not reassuring. g

You might also want to look at
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html, which offers a macro to
replace the symbols (I don't know what versions of Word/WP it might work
with).