Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JP JP is offline

Default How do I paste a webgraphic across 2 pages, instead of one?

I copied a map legend from the web and pasted it onto my Word document, but
it's too long for just one page. How can I make it go across two pages or
more, instead of only one, while keep the info intact? I did already try
"resizing" and formatting by rightclicking and all that, but it just makes
the text within the box too small to read or too blurry. Also, please could
you reply as if instructing a 2nd or 3rd grader as I'm new to using the
computer and it's programs and a newbie to terms etc. Thanks in advance for
your assistance. JP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Word cannot spread images across pages.
Either increase your page size, say from A4 to A3, but this may not be
appropriate for the document, if this image is in the middle of text.
Or paste the image twice (one on each page) and crop the image to
requirements.
This is not the best solution, maybe for this job you shold consider a
publishing package: Publisher, Quark, etc.
If you are just using Word to contain the image and the file is not to have
any other information, such as text, why not use a Picture Editing package,
such MS Paint, MS Picture Manager, PhotoShop, or even good'ol PowerPoint. At
least then you can have the image whatever size you need.
All the best
DeanH

"JP" wrote:

I copied a map legend from the web and pasted it onto my Word document, but
it's too long for just one page. How can I make it go across two pages or
more, instead of only one, while keep the info intact? I did already try
"resizing" and formatting by rightclicking and all that, but it just makes
the text within the box too small to read or too blurry. Also, please could
you reply as if instructing a 2nd or 3rd grader as I'm new to using the
computer and it's programs and a newbie to terms etc. Thanks in advance for
your assistance. JP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Download the free graphics editor IrfanView and install it (just search
Google for IrfanView: it is probably the best and smallest graphics editor
you can get for free).

Open the graphic in IrfanView and use the cursor to select about half the
graphic splitting it at a convenient point where it doesn't cut anything
important. Note that when you have made the selection, if you move the
cursor over the boundary, you can drag the edge in order to make very
accurate selections. From the Edit menu, use the CROP command. Use SaveAs
and name it GraphicXtop. Then reopen the original again and this time select
the remainder of the graphic, select CROP and use Save as to can is
GraphicXlower.

IrfanView lets you choose what format you save in (in other words, it is
also a graphics converter). I recommend you use the jpeg format for this.

You now have the oversized graphic split into two so that in Word you can
use Insert, Picture and place them on different pages. In Word you can use
the drag handles to make the pictures bigger now if it improves clarity.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP