Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AJ[_2_] AJ[_2_] is offline

Default Links within a Word document

I'm using Word 2003. I'm creating a document with a table of contents that
I need to link to chapters within this document. Is there are way to do
this? I've tried creating bookmarks and then hyperlinks without success.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help....thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

TOCs are automatically hyperlinked. By default the entire TOC entry is
hyperlinked, but even if you disable that, the page numbers are hyperlinked.
This assumes you are creating the TOC as described at
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"AJ" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003. I'm creating a document with a table of contents
that I need to link to chapters within this document. Is there are way to
do this? I've tried creating bookmarks and then hyperlinks without
success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help....thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AJ[_2_] AJ[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your very quick response. I've read the link that you
provided and it should help me create a linked TOC.

I am actually creating a list of FAQ's. The way I've laid out this task, it
will be a 3-level doc:.
1. The 1st level will list the high-level topics - probably 10 topic
groups.
2. The 2nd level will just list the questions within each of the topics -
about 15 questions for topic group..
3. The 3rd level will list each question and answer.

My goal is to link Level 1 topics to their list of questions in Level 2.
Then each listed question in Level 2 to be linked to its Q&A.

Hopefully this won't turn into a nightmare of bookmarks and links. Doing
this for about 150 Q&A's will just take time I guess.

Is there an easier way for the user to proceed through the links without
using "CTRL + Click"? I'd really prefer to have links that use underlined
hyperlinks that only take a left click to advance to the next level..

Thanks again!!!

Andrew

"AJ" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003. I'm creating a document with a table of contents
that I need to link to chapters within this document. Is there are way
to do this? I've tried creating bookmarks and then hyperlinks without
success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help....thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's a user setting. If the user has disabled "Ctrl+click to follow
hyperlink" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options, a single click will suffice.
If the user has not, it may be through preference or through ignorance of
the existence of this choice. If the latter seems likely, you could add a
note explaining how to change the setting.

"AJ" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003. I'm creating a document with a table of contents
that I need to link to chapters within this document. Is there are way
to do this? I've tried creating bookmarks and then hyperlinks without
success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help....thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AJ[_2_] AJ[_2_] is offline

I made the change that you suggested and it worked just fine. Is there a
way to make a change within the document so each user doesn't have change
their options to do the same thing? If not, this certainly gets the job
done. I'll just include a brief note explaining this procedure when I
distribute the document.

Thank you so much for your quick and excellent help - it is really
appreciated. You're great !

"AJ" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003. I'm creating a document with a table of contents
that I need to link to chapters within this document. Is there are way
to do this? I've tried creating bookmarks and then hyperlinks without
success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help....thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As I said, this is up to each user's personal preference. You can suggest,
but you can't force the change--at least not without a macro in the document
that would make most recipients very unhappy (if they even enabled it).