Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Lost Hyperlinks

I have a document that hyperlinks to a separate reference document. When I
change the location of the files to another directory most of the time the
path name for the link follows, but not always. If I was Ssve As the path
name sometimes locks in the path of the source directory - but not always.
Help! How do I ensure the path will always adjust or lock in a path that
never changes - C:
--
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Chris,

Word's links to external files use absolute paths, not relative paths. So even if the files were in the same folder, the link paths
is likely to fail if any part of the path to that folder differs - even on a CD, if the drive letter is different. Deleting or
omitting the link path from the field will not fix that - Word stills holds it in the document metadata.

For a couple of approaches to dealing with this see:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=261488
and:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=670027

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I have a document that hyperlinks to a separate reference document. When I
change the location of the files to another directory most of the time the
path name for the link follows, but not always. If I was Ssve As the path
name sometimes locks in the path of the source directory - but not always.
Help! How do I ensure the path will always adjust or lock in a path that
never changes - C:
--
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks I think that will fix it - but two things drive me crazy. I can cut
and paste the file to multiple drives most of the time. Only on occasion do
I lose the links.

When I open Forms Fields the link path appears to be correct and is
relative. When I close Form Fields an entirely different path appears in the
bubble which does not change when I change the path through Form Fields
--
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I have a document that hyperlinks to a separate reference document. When I
change the location of the files to another directory most of the time the
path name for the link follows, but not always. If I was Ssve As the path
name sometimes locks in the path of the source directory - but not always.
Help! How do I ensure the path will always adjust or lock in a path that
never changes - C:
--
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Chris,

What you're describing there is the displayed text, which you have to update separately. You might find it more useful for the
displayed text to describe the link rather than to replicate it - then you only ever have the actual link to update.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]