Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bikerick bikerick is offline

Default open document in earlier version of Word

Hi: I wasn't able to open an old document in Word, so I went to help and
found the following instruction:...
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys, as appropriate
for your version of Word: Word 2003
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security\FileOpenBlock
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock

However, there was no subfolder called "Security" in my directory,

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:41:01 -0700, bikerick
wrote:

Hi: I wasn't able to open an old document in Word, so I went to help and
found the following instruction:...
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys, as appropriate
for your version of Word: Word 2003
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Word\Security\FileOpenBlock
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Off ice\11.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock

However, there was no subfolder called "Security" in my directory,

Rick

You can create the Security key by right-clicking the Word subfolder and
choosing New Key.

It would be much simpler, though, to go to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 and download the .reg file for Word
that's listed under "Method 1". Follow the instructions there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman