Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer[_2_] MJ Schaer[_2_] is offline

Default Did they fix the PDF function

Documents that are later saved in Adobe Acrobat or saved to another location
on your hard drive or to a server loose their links with the current Word to
PDF converter. This is a problem for those submitting documents online.
Anyone know if this has been addressed? There does not seem to be any
mention on the Microsoft support site.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"MJ Schaer" wrote in message

loose their links with the current Word to PDF converter.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer[_2_] MJ Schaer[_2_] is offline

Hyperlinks in the TOC and List of Figures become broken once the document is
resaved in Adobe or saved to a new folder. The University of Florida even
had a page up on the website to tell graduate students not to submit
documents that were convered to PDF from within Word 2007. It is still
broken.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"MJ Schaer" wrote in message

loose their links with the current Word to PDF converter.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi M.J.,

I'm not sure I'm following you on what 'later resaved in Adobe' would meand in this case. Can you elaborate? The MS Save as PDF
converters are built from the public Adobe specification documentation and there are some strange things that can happen

===============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer[_2_] MJ Schaer[_2_] is offline

Bob, a document with a TOC generated from heading styles and converted to
PDF from within Word 2007 initially will have working hyperlinks. If you
take this file and resave it to another folder or to an Internet site, such
as UF's, the links will be broken. Or, if you pull it into Adobe Acrobat and
resave it to another location, the links will be broken.

Go he
http://etd.helpdesk.ufl.edu/

I don't know how I can make it any more clear. Try it yourself.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote

"MJ Schaer" wrote in message
Hyperlinks in the TOC and List of Figures become broken once the document
is
resaved in Adobe or saved to a new folder. The University of Florida even
had a page up on the website to tell graduate students not to submit
documents that were convered to PDF from within Word 2007. It is still
broken.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi M.J.,

I can certainly understand folks not wanting to take a chance on submitting important documents due by a deadline that represent alot of work. There's not much to go on in that web page message as to the possible issue causes so I tried a few tests . See if you get different results please, or if perhaps it's a different set of issues that create the problem.

I generally don't use the built in Heading Styles so I choose documents with varying Word {TOC } field switches/options tha built
the Table of Contents. For the tests I used MS Whitepapers, created in Microsoft Word that are available online.

1. "Office2007UIforDevelopers.doc" 784KB
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc
From: http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...displaylang=en
TOC uses: Word built in heading styles
TOC field: {TOC |o "1-3" \h \z \u}

2a. File: "2007OfficeComplianceFeatures.docx"
Format: Word 2007 .docx - 3,667KB
From: http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...a-32c922e850ca
TOC uses: User Defined heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \h \z \t "MS3 - Heading 1,1,orange,2"}

2b. File "2007OfficeComplianceFeatures.doc"
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 4,475KB
From: This is a file that is available in both
the .doc and .docx file types from the link for #2a.

3. File: "MicrosoftDynamics_Office2007_Integration_WhitePap er.doc"
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 4,019KB
From: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...iteP aper.doc
TOC uses: Word built-in heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u"}

4a. File: Outlook2007EmailEditorWhitepaper.docx
Format: Word 2007 .docx - 778KB
From: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...109301033.aspx
TOC uses: Word built-in heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u"}

4b. File: Outlook2007EmailEditorWhitepaper.doc
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 841KB
From: This is a file that is available in both
the .doc and .docx file types from the link for #4a.

I downloaded, then opened, each of the above documents in Word 2007 SP1 and I then used the Office 2007 Save as PDF feature.

After saving each document from Word 2007 SP1 as PDF I then tried renaming, moving, copying, opening in Adobe Reader and resaving as a new name and in a new location, publishing to a web site and posting to a blog and then opening the PDF file from each destination and resaving from Adobe Reader. Then I closed the reader and reopened the new file in Adobe Reader from the file's new location. In each case in Adobe Reader, the TOC and hyperlinks, and bookmarks continued to work throughout the
document in Adobe Reader.

If you're saying that Word created PDF files break only after being reopened in another editing product and resaved? If so then
that wouldn't seem to be something entirely in Word 2007's handling of the files, or perhaps it's related to differing settings in
the [Options] button for the Save as PDF choice in Word 2007?

Do you have steps to reproduce the problem and a link to a .doc/.docx file that does not require opening the PDF in a PDF editing app? Do any of these files have content generated from an Add-in to Word by any chance?

============

From: This is a file that is available in both
the .doc and .docx file types from the link for #2a.

3. File: "MicrosoftDynamics_Office2007_Integration_WhitePap er.doc"
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 4,019KB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It doesn't appear to be broken here either. Even following your steps! Are
you sure that you had the option set in the Word 2007 PDF creation tool to
create bookmarks from heading styles (which is not set by default)?

Neither is there a problem if you create the PDF using the Acrobat add-in
for Word 2007.

Unless you have further evidence to offer, it seems that the web page you
quote is simply wrong.

From:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...displaylang=en

From:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...a-32c922e850ca

From: This is a file that is available in both

From:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...iteP aper.doc
TOC uses: Word built-in heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u"}

4a. File: Outlook2007EmailEditorWhitepaper.docx
Format: Word 2007 .docx - 778KB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK, after further testing, I see what you mean.

If you create a PDF file using the Word tool then the hyperlinks work. If
you then open and save that PDF file in Acrobat, the links no longer work.

If you create the PDF using Acrobat there is no problem.

Is that the PDF tool that is 'broken' or merely limited in functionality
compared with a program that costs almost as much as Word?

From:

From:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...a-32c922e850ca
TOC uses: User Defined heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \h \z \t "MS3 - Heading 1,1,orange,2"}

2b. File "2007OfficeComplianceFeatures.doc"
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 4,475KB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer[_2_] MJ Schaer[_2_] is offline

Yes, of course I had that option set. As I said, the hyperlinks work until
the document is resaved to another folder. It doesn't matter if it is saved
as a doc or a docx. Once the document is moved to another folder, the links
are broken. And, yes, I'm using the Word 2007 add-in to create PDFs. Now, if
you take this same document and pull it into an older version of word and
create the PDF, the problem does NOT occur.
And, NO, the web page is not wrong. I'm not sure why you are not having this
problem, but if enough students had the problem for UF to put the caution up
on its site, then the convert to PDF function has a glitch in it.

No more. I cannot continue to argue with you people any longer.

From:

From:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...a-32c922e850ca
TOC uses: User Defined heading styles
TOC field: {TOC \h \z \t "MS3 - Heading 1,1,orange,2"}

2b. File "2007OfficeComplianceFeatures.doc"
Format: Word 97-2003 .doc - 4,475KB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi M.J.,

Other than you, no one here has tried to defend anything.

Folks here were trying to ascertain how to reproduce the issue. You provided only a link to a one paragraph advisory.

Folks here have tried to duplicate the issue using only MS Word 2007 and only MS Word 2007's Save as PDF Add-in with the vary
general information you provided. You were asked if you have a document or specific steps folks can try to use to replicate the
problems using only MS Word 2007. There are some issues with saving as PDF with the MS Add-in related to equation and other graphic
objects, so all folks here were trying to do is put together some details to be able to forward on to MS for them to have something
to look at. MS doesn't have an add-in for earlier versions of Word that produces PDF files.

If it's the Adobe brand PDF creation add-in product then that would seem to be the product team to be approached. How their add-in
performs in Word 2007 is of interest, but beyond what MS can address in their product, other than to pass that along to Adobe.

Table of Contents in Word are created using the {TOC} field, which is what the details in the prior message showed. Most of the
documents did create the TOC from Heading Styles.

============
"MJ Schaer" wrote in message ...
You know what? You're defending a broken product. Are you trying to tell an entire student body that they have to change their
method of making hyperlinks? Theses and dissertations have headings that, when properly formatted, will make automatic heading
styles. I don't know how those papers you gave as examples were formatted! I gave you the steps. Enough said. It's broken!

I'm done!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer[_2_] MJ Schaer[_2_] is offline

Graham,

I have Adobe 7.0.9 on my system. I cannot print to the Adobe PDF from Word
and have the hyperlinks work. This may be a Word 2007 to Adobe 7 problem, or
it could be that it's because I'm running Vista. So, I do have to use the
"Save as PDF" add-in from Microsoft. And, yes, once the file is moved the
links break. Thank you!

My only solution is to save the document as a .doc and pull it into my older
version of Word to create the PDF using the Adobe Add-in.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Adobe 7.0.9 has an add-in that is not compatible with Word 2007. You need
version 8.1.2 for that.
Your workaround seems the logical step.