Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

Default I want to remove these: (looks like a greater than sign in math)

I'm using Word 2007 SP1 on Vista SP1. I'm trying to remove these and find
out the name for them and the reason why they get imposed on a document when
you paste it into html email. I did paste it into Word first, on another
drive, that's unavailable to me right now--although I think I can access the
documents, ( and in the meantime, I'm looking for that document without
these "tags" that look like this:

I don't know the name of these: I assume they're part of a basic html
tag, and hopefully someone will educate me. I don't konw a lot about html,
and when I have to comment somewhere and make my own html, I do it from a
"beginner's reference guide" or "html" cheat sheet. At least if you look at
html cheat sheets, these "brackets" (quite possibly the wrong name) frame or
bookend an html tag.

I pasted from an essay I wrote into a box to mail. I didn't set up the box,
but had to use it. I then pasted this essay into html email (Yahoo) and as
often is the case, it showed up with these "brackets." Here's what I mean.

I wrote a sentence like this. But when I pasted it into Yahoo mail it
looked like this:

I wrote a sentence like this.
Every line had one of these "greater than" 'pointers', or 'tags.' I'm
assuming that html confers them on the text when you paste into web based
email like Yahoo. Now I've pasted it into Word 2007.
I want to get rid of these s that you see on the left here. I can
highlight each one and ctrl +x them, but that's time consuming and tedious
going line by line.

Is there some setting I can reach from the Word 2007 ribbon or otherwise
with a keyboard shortcut (even faster) that will make these things
disappear. Also if someone will help me with the correct name of this ,
then I can stop calling them "these things."

Much appreciated,

CH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

For a start see http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm.
Come back if you have any further difficulties.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Chad Harris" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

They're "greater than" signs, and they're applied automatically to quoted
text in some mail clients. If you're using Outlook Express, for example, in
Tools | Options | Send | Plain Text Settings, you can choose to "Indent the
original text with" [choice of indent characters]. In Word you can remove
these leading characters using column select: press Alt while dragging a
narrow column to the left of the paragraph. Once you have all the indent
characters selected, press Delete. Or you can use Find and Replace to delete
them.

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the tips Suzanne. I notice also in html they enclose almost any
text tag or tags. But where do you find "column select" on the ribbon?

CH

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

What worked, and I guess you meant Suzanne, was to highlight one of the s,
while holding down the alt key+ then click the clear formatting button and
drag up your highlighting which will then be limited to the narrow vertical
column contianing the s. That works. Now if a highlight the body of text,
how can I get it to format as paragraphs with a slight left indentation?
There has to be something to click after shading the area.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

What works (and I think you meant) is to shade a , hold down altthen hit
the clear key and drag up verttically and then delete the s. Now how do I
highlight the body, and convert it into paragraphs?

Thanks,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

Thanks that works. Or I think I did what you meant to get rid of them. I
highlighted a then held down alt then hit the clear formatting button on
the font part of the ribbon, and dragged up verticallythen hit delete. Now
how can I highlight the text and make paragraphs with a slight indent?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You should be able to select the text using any of the usual text selection
methods, then apply the appropriate formatting (or, preferably, a paragraph
style). The column select method works only in Word. Ordinarily when you
drag the mouse to select text, it selects the entire margin width, but if
you press Alt while dragging, you can select just a column of text, such as
the indent marks you describe.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_2_] Chad Harris[_2_] is offline

Suzanne--

Sorry the multiple repeat posts came up. I didn't send but once--sometimes
NNTP flukes happen. Using the steps you prompted me to worked, many thanks.
I poked all over the paragraph settings on the ribbon though, and if they
are an alternate better way to go about this or offer a wider range of
options, ****I'd like to understand what you mean with respect to them if
you don't mind spelling out where I should head there.

Many thanks as always though, because now I know at least one fast way to
get rid of all the 's at once. I still don't understand why they show up
in the first place though.