Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
HowardD HowardD is offline

Default How do I stop Word predicting text?

Whilst writing using Word 2007, the text keeps predicting what it thinks I
want to write.
Example: I want to write the word "to". As I type the "o", the text jumps to
"toby"
Can anyone tell me how to turn this "feature" off?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you sure you're using Word 2007? AutoComplete--the feature you're
describing--was disabled in Word 2007, except for dates. If you've gotten it
to work--even by accident--a lot of people would be interested in knowing
the secret.

If it actually completes it--and doesn't just offer--then it's possible that
you have an AutoCorrect entry that converts "to" into "toby", but that sure
seems like a stretch. If you're really using Word 2007, click the Office
button - Word Options - Proofing - AutoCorrect Options - AutoCorrect tab to
control the behavior.

On the chance that you're really using Word 2003, not 2007, choose Tools -
AutoCorrect Options - AutoText tab, and remove the check next to "Show
AutoComplete suggestions.

On the slim chance that you're really running Word 2007 and that this is
AutoComplete resurrecting itself, I wonder if running the following macro
will succeed in turning off the behavior you're seeing:

Sub TurnAutoCompleteOn()

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False

End Sub

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible