Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Victor Delta[_2_] Victor Delta[_2_] is offline

Default How do I get rid of the Reviewing Toolbar?

I use Word XP and simply hate the reviewing toolbar - particularly the
uninvited way it pops up when opening certain documents (especially email
attachments).

To try and overcome this, I have the following in my AutoExec macro:

With CommandBars("Reviewing")
.Enabled = False
.Visible = False

However, although this works to start with, the toolbar keeps on popping up
from time to time.

Can anyone suggest a better way to bring it under control please...?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Add the line
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
to an autonew macro also
If you open e-mail attachments directly from e-mails (which is bad practice
and should be avoided) then the autoexec macro does not run. Save
attachments and open them from Word.

Victor Delta wrote:
I use Word XP and simply hate the reviewing toolbar - particularly the
uninvited way it pops up when opening certain documents (especially
email attachments).

To try and overcome this, I have the following in my AutoExec macro:

With CommandBars("Reviewing")
.Enabled = False
.Visible = False

However, although this works to start with, the toolbar keeps on
popping up from time to time.

Can anyone suggest a better way to bring it under control please...?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Add the line
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
to an autonew macro also
If you open e-mail attachments directly from e-mails (which is bad
practice and should be avoided) then the autoexec macro does not run. Save
attachments and open them from Word.

Graham

Thanks for that, although I should perhaps have mentioned that I always have
Word open on my PC (it loads on booting) - so will your autonew macro
actually make any difference?

I guess you mean that attachments should first be saved to disk before
opening. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to change this habit as life is too
short when there is a quick way that works!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you want to know why this occurs take a look at this article:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=107

Note that you may not be encountering the symptoms, since more than likely
the documents that exhibit the behavior aren't yours, but the cause is the
same and the only way to truly "cure" the document is to delete the Review
properties described in the article from the File Properties.

Also, since you are using Office XP you may want to check your Outlook
Preferences described in the article to make sure you're not sending similar
documents to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
I use Word XP and simply hate the reviewing toolbar - particularly the
uninvited way it pops up when opening certain documents (especially email
attachments).

To try and overcome this, I have the following in my AutoExec macro:

With CommandBars("Reviewing")
.Enabled = False
.Visible = False

However, although this works to start with, the toolbar keeps on popping
up from time to time.

Can anyone suggest a better way to bring it under control please...?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The suggested code turns off the bar for every new document, If you want to
turn it off for every existing document then add the line to an autoopen
macro.

You will stop opening documents directly the first time you lose hours of
work by doing so.

Word 2007 has improved the way attached documents are handled.

Victor Delta wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Add the line
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
to an autonew macro also
If you open e-mail attachments directly from e-mails (which is bad
practice and should be avoided) then the autoexec macro does not
run. Save attachments and open them from Word.

Graham

Thanks for that, although I should perhaps have mentioned that I
always have Word open on my PC (it loads on booting) - so will your
autonew macro actually make any difference?

I guess you mean that attachments should first be saved to disk before
opening. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to change this habit as life
is too short when there is a quick way that works!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Victor Delta[_2_] Victor Delta[_2_] is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The suggested code turns off the bar for every new document, If you want
to turn it off for every existing document then add the line to an
autoopen macro.

Actually Graham, on second thoughts, I'm slightly confused now.

My existing macro is named autoexec and, as I understand it, runs when Word
first opens (and, as my original message indicated, the reviewing toolbar
still appears when some attachments are opened).

Is an autoopen macro different from an autoexec one?

Sorry if I am being dim?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
If you want to know why this occurs take a look at this article:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=107

Note that you may not be encountering the symptoms, since more than likely
the documents that exhibit the behavior aren't yours, but the cause is the
same and the only way to truly "cure" the document is to delete the Review
properties described in the article from the File Properties.

Also, since you are using Office XP you may want to check your Outlook
Preferences described in the article to make sure you're not sending
similar documents to others.

Beth

Many thanks. Yes I was aware of this and changed my Outlook Preferences some
time ago. Shame MS never issued an update which changed the default setting.

Still, hopefully Graham's suggestion will enable me to prevent the reviewing
toolbar popping up in future.

Regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AutoExec runs when you start Word, AutoNew when you create a document,
AutoOpen when you open a document. But wrt the Reviewing toolbar when
opening attachments, see "Review Toolbar Annoyance" at

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The suggested code turns off the bar for every new document, If you want
to turn it off for every existing document then add the line to an
autoopen macro.

Actually Graham, on second thoughts, I'm slightly confused now.

My existing macro is named autoexec and, as I understand it, runs when
Word first opens (and, as my original message indicated, the reviewing
toolbar still appears when some attachments are opened).

Is an autoopen macro different from an autoexec one?

Sorry if I am being dim?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AutoExec runs when you start Word, AutoNew when you create a document,
AutoOpen when you open a document. But wrt the Reviewing toolbar when
opening attachments, see "Review Toolbar Annoyance" at

Suzanne

Many thanks. I think this was the article that initially inspired me to
create the autoexec macro a year or so ago. However, as you will see, the
reviewing toolbar still appears on occasions.

Graham advised creating an autonew macro to overcome this, but your post
suggests it should be an autoopen macro? Will the latter even run when one
double clicks an attachment i.e. does not use the open file dialogue box in
Word?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The issue concerns what is triggering the reviewing toolbar to pop up when
unwanted.
AutoExec will ensure that it is turned off when you start Word, but if it
comes back when you create a new document, you need an autonew macro. If it
returns when opening other people's documents you need an autoopen macro. If
the return is random, you need a belt and braces approach and all three
macros.

Victor Delta wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AutoExec runs when you start Word, AutoNew when you create a
document, AutoOpen when you open a document. But wrt the Reviewing
toolbar when opening attachments, see "Review Toolbar Annoyance" at

Suzanne

Many thanks. I think this was the article that initially inspired me
to create the autoexec macro a year or so ago. However, as you will
see, the reviewing toolbar still appears on occasions.

Graham advised creating an autonew macro to overcome this, but your
post suggests it should be an autoopen macro? Will the latter even
run when one double clicks an attachment i.e. does not use the open
file dialogue box in Word?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Victor Delta[_2_] Victor Delta[_2_] is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The issue concerns what is triggering the reviewing toolbar to pop up when
unwanted.
AutoExec will ensure that it is turned off when you start Word, but if it
comes back when you create a new document, you need an autonew macro. If
it returns when opening other people's documents you need an autoopen
macro. If the return is random, you need a belt and braces approach and
all three macros.

Suzanne/Graham

Many thanks to you both for your help (Graham - sorry if I did not make it
totally clear in my original post that the problem is with opening
documents - mostly email attachments).

Regards,