Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Default Start pg numbering on 3rd page, with no # on 1 or 2?

Office Word 2007

I need to start my page numbering on the third page of my document, calling
it pg no. 1. But I don't want the first or second pages to show any page
number.

I know how to do this if I begin my numbering on the second page, but can't
figure out how to do this starting the numbering on the third page. The best
I can come up with shows no number on the first page, a number 1 on the
second page, and then another number 1 on the third page.

Help?

Thanks.

Ken Isaacson
SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
www.KenIsaacson.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Ken" wrote in message
Office Word 2007

I need to start my page numbering on the third page of my document,
calling it pg no. 1. But I don't want the first or second pages to show
any page number.

I know how to do this if I begin my numbering on the second page, but
can't figure out how to do this starting the numbering on the third page.
The best I can come up with shows no number on the first page, a number 1
on the second page, and then another number 1 on the third page.

Help?

You need to use Section Breaks. It will get you tearing your hair out trying
to do such a simple task, but it can be done!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Yeah, I tried breaking into a new section so that the page I want to call
No. 1 is the first page in a new section, and I got to the point where it
would show "1" as the page number. But the pages in the previous section
were numbered as well!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Ken" wrote in message
Office Word 2007

I need to start my page numbering on the third page of my document,
calling it pg no. 1. But I don't want the first or second pages to show
any page number.

I know how to do this if I begin my numbering on the second page, but
can't figure out how to do this starting the numbering on the third page.
The best I can come up with shows no number on the first page, a number 1
on the second page, and then another number 1 on the third page.

Help?

You need to use Section Breaks. It will get you tearing your hair out
trying to do such a simple task, but it can be done!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Ken" wrote in message
Yeah, I tried breaking into a new section so that the page I want to call
No. 1 is the first page in a new section, and I got to the point where it
would show "1" as the page number. But the pages in the previous section
were numbered as well!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

did you unlink the section from the previous section?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

A simple way to do it without the need for sections is to use the IF field
so that you enter into the Footer (presuming that is where you want the page
number) a field that says IF page number is greater than 2, True = PAGE-2,
False = nothing.

{ IF { NUMPAGES } = 2 { PAGE-2 } }

Pages 1 and 2 will display blank (false) but page 3 will display 3-2=1 and
so on.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Ken" wrote in message
Yeah, I tried breaking into a new section so that the page I want to
call No. 1 is the first page in a new section, and I got to the point
where it would show "1" as the page number. But the pages in the
previous section were numbered as well!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

did you unlink the section from the previous section?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think what was meant was

{ IF{ PAGE } 2 { =({ Page } - 2) } }