Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Crenshaw Jack Crenshaw is offline

Default Word 97 + Word 2007

I've been using Word 97 for ages. Just installed Office 2008 Home &
Student. Looks like they share the same Normal.dot. Now I can't get
97 to work as it used to. Any advice?

What is up with this H & S version anyhow? Is it a crippled version, as
in "Works"? Its current look & field is weird. Toolbars fill half the
screen.

Thanks
Jack
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

They don't share the same normal.dot. Word 2007 does not use normal.dot at
all. It's default template is normal.dotm.

If you have both Word 97 and Word 2007 installed, there will inevitably be
some interaction between them. See
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

The version of Word in the Home and Student version of Office 2007 is
operationally exactly the same as in other versions of Office. There is
nothing 'crippled' about it. Yes it does look radically different from 97.

Jack Crenshaw wrote:
I've been using Word 97 for ages. Just installed Office 2008 Home &
Student. Looks like they share the same Normal.dot. Now I can't get
97 to work as it used to. Any advice?

What is up with this H & S version anyhow? Is it a crippled version,
as in "Works"? Its current look & field is weird. Toolbars fill
half the screen.

Thanks
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham Mayor wrote:
They don't share the same normal.dot. Word 2007 does not use normal.dot at
all. It's default template is normal.dotm.

Ok, that's good to know. It seemed to me that I had to reset all my
settubgs in normal.dot. But I tend to use existing files as the bases
for new files, so perhaps I've been getting their settings all this time
(year or so).

If you have both Word 97 and Word 2007 installed, there will inevitably be
some interaction between them. See
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

The version of Word in the Home and Student version of Office 2007 is
operationally exactly the same as in other versions of Office. There is
nothing 'crippled' about it. Yes it does look radically different from 97.

Again, that's good to know. But I have replaced the Word 97 equation
editor with Mathtype, and Word 2007 didn't attach to it. The equation
editor in 2007 seems vastly different from (and less capable than)
either of the others.

Jack
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jack

you'll find that the legacy Equation Editor is still there fit and well. You
need to add the Insert Object command button to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Then you can use Insert, Object and select Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0 and
you'll be back on familiar territory.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jack Crenshaw" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jack Crenshaw Jack Crenshaw is offline

Hmmm. Well, now it looks like I've got yet another problem getting in
the way of doing anything. Every time I launch 2007, it configures
itself all over again. It _SEEMS_ to be going on line. Is there any way
to make it stop doing that???

Jack

Terry Farrell wrote:
Jack

you'll find that the legacy Equation Editor is still there fit and well.
You need to add the Insert Object command button to the Quick Access
Toolbar. Then you can use Insert, Object and select Microsoft Equation
Editor 3.0 and you'll be back on familiar territory.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
Jack

you'll find that the legacy Equation Editor is still there fit and well.
You need to add the Insert Object command button to the Quick Access
Toolbar. Then you can use Insert, Object and select Microsoft Equation
Editor 3.0 and you'll be back on familiar territory.

By golly, there's Mathtype!! In the same way you told me to insert MS
Eq. Editor, I can insert a Mathtype object as well. It's just that
Mathtype isn't hooked into the toolbar like I;m used to. No doubt I'll
figure a way to do that eventually.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Add the following macro to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar)

Sub EquationObj()
Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject ClassType:="Equation.3",
FileName:="", _
LinkToFile:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False
End Sub

Jack Crenshaw wrote:
Terry Farrell wrote:
Jack

you'll find that the legacy Equation Editor is still there fit and
well. You need to add the Insert Object command button to the Quick
Access Toolbar. Then you can use Insert, Object and select Microsoft
Equation Editor 3.0 and you'll be back on familiar territory.

By golly, there's Mathtype!! In the same way you told me to insert MS
Eq. Editor, I can insert a Mathtype object as well. It's just that
Mathtype isn't hooked into the toolbar like I;m used to. No doubt
I'll figure a way to do that eventually.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Jack, MathType 6 is compatible with Office 2007, and installs its own
tab onto the Ribbon in Word and PowerPoint. It has to be installed
after Office though, so if you already have MathType 6 and don't have
a MathType tab on the Ribbon, reinstalling it should do the trick.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training