Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sharon Frustrated with Office 2007 Sharon Frustrated with Office 2007 is offline

Default Mail Merge Word 2007 saving the data source

I have two files, one a letter (Mail Merge Main document) and the other is a
table data base, both created in Word 2003 but I'm now using Word 2007. I'll
open the letter, get the data source and then edit the data source.
Everything works just the way it should right down to saving the Main
document or letter then I try to close the Main document or letter, it asks
if I want to save the data source and when I say yes it tells me that the
data source is a 'read only' document. This never happened in Word 2003,
when I said yes to save the edited data source it did but in Word 2007 it
won't. What am I doing wrong? This isn't the only problem I'm having with
Mail Merge and Word 2007 but it's the newest.

I've put the old Mail Merge Helper button on the Quick Access Toolbar to see
if I could notice anything different and the only thing I can see is the Main
document or letter is now located on the
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Win dows\Temporary Internet
Files\Contect.MSO\ with a random number instead of in the directory and
folder it came from.

I've even saved both files as Word 2007 documents but then when I try to
reopen the Main document it says (that random file number from above)
"F972720B is a mail merge main document. Word cannot find its data source"
even though the data source location is listed.