Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Ann Elizabeth Ann is offline

Default Want text only on 16 X 11 converted to 8 x 11.

Created a 31 page text document on 16W x 11L format. Set the margins so that
just left side of page has text. I need the text on 8 x 11 paper. Thought
I could cut & paste text on new 8 x 11 document, but 24 hours later, still
can't do it. HELP! Tried to make 2 columns (to highlight left column &
paste) but each word came vertical and had over 2000 pages! Just want what
is on half the page, but my scizzors can't cut the page in vertical half!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Elizabeth Ann wrote:
Created a 31 page text document on 16W x 11L format. Set the margins
so that just left side of page has text. I need the text on 8 x 11
paper. Thought I could cut & paste text on new 8 x 11 document, but
24 hours later, still can't do it. HELP! Tried to make 2 columns
(to highlight left column & paste) but each word came vertical and
had over 2000 pages! Just want what is on half the page, but my
scizzors can't cut the page in vertical half!

The first thing you must do is set the document's margins back to the
default, or something near it -- 1" or 1.25". The text width will
temporarily become about 14", but don't worry about it.

Now change the paper size to Letter (8.5" x 11") or your custom 8" x 11".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Ann Elizabeth Ann is offline

Did not work. Do I highlight whole doc & set left & right margins? Then in
page set up (for print) it shows it is in landscape (do I change to
portrait). When I change paper size in page set up it says 'margins are
outside area. Do you want us to fix it?" Either way, document appears one
letter at a time on left side vertically down thousands of pages. Thanks for
your anticipated reply. I really need your help!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Elizabeth Ann wrote:
Created a 31 page text document on 16W x 11L format. Set the margins
so that just left side of page has text. I need the text on 8 x 11
paper. Thought I could cut & paste text on new 8 x 11 document, but
24 hours later, still can't do it. HELP! Tried to make 2 columns
(to highlight left column & paste) but each word came vertical and
had over 2000 pages! Just want what is on half the page, but my
scizzors can't cut the page in vertical half!

The first thing you must do is set the document's margins back to the
default, or something near it -- 1" or 1.25". The text width will
temporarily become about 14", but don't worry about it.

Now change the paper size to Letter (8.5" x 11") or your custom 8" x 11".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

One at a time:

You don't have to select the whole document. The Page Setup dialog has an
"Apply to" box, and that should be set to "Whole document".

Yes, the orientation should be Portrait. When you have a custom page size,
with the width and height set manually, it could be either Portrait or
Landscape, but now you want it Portrait.

When you have changed the margins and orientation, click OK. It will
complain about the margins being outside the printable area, and you should
click the Ignore button. Then go into Page Setup again and change the page
size. This time it shouldn't complain.

If the letters are still one per line, then you also have a problem with the
right indent in the paragraph formatting, which might be in a style or might
be "direct" formatting. Make sure every style you use has the right indent
set to 0" and that all paragraphs are using their style's indenting and not
something different.

If you still can't resolve it, you can email a copy to me and I'll have a
look.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Elizabeth Ann wrote:
Created a 31 page text document on 16W x 11L format. Set the
margins so that just left side of page has text. I need the text
on 8 x 11 paper. Thought I could cut & paste text on new 8 x 11
document, but 24 hours later, still can't do it. HELP! Tried to
make 2 columns (to highlight left column & paste) but each word
came vertical and had over 2000 pages! Just want what is on half
the page, but my scizzors can't cut the page in vertical half!

The first thing you must do is set the document's margins back to the
default, or something near it -- 1" or 1.25". The text width will
temporarily become about 14", but don't worry about it.

Now change the paper size to Letter (8.5" x 11") or your custom 8" x
11".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Ann Elizabeth Ann is offline

Jay,

Could not get it to work. Took you up on your generous offer and sent you
the document. Thanks for your help!

Elizabeth