Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeni Jeni is offline

Default i have a form to complete on line but cannot enter any text (word

my son is entering a comp. they sent form to complete but i cannot edit it -
how do i do this please. i believe its in word 2003 - i have vista?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If it is a Word document, you will need Word to open it. Vista is an
operating system, not an application.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jeni" wrote in message
my son is entering a comp. they sent form to complete but i cannot edit
it -
how do i do this please. i believe its in word 2003 - i have vista?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As Doug points out, you'll need Word to edit it. You can view and print it
with the Word viewer (see
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en),
and it may be that this is what's intended.

"jeni" wrote in message
my son is entering a comp. they sent form to complete but i cannot edit
it -
how do i do this please. i believe its in word 2003 - i have vista?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I see posts like this now and then and I can't help but wonder if the form
is not meant to be filled out on a computer but filled out by hand and
mailed back.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"jeni" wrote in message
my son is entering a comp. they sent form to complete but i cannot edit
it -
how do i do this please. i believe its in word 2003 - i have vista?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think that's more common than we might think. This is always my assumption
when a form doesn't contain form fields, though I'll grant you there are a
lot of just really terrible forms creators out there.

My husband used to have to fill out a lengthy (book-length) form after
performing drug lab inspections for SAMHSA. At one point I modified the form
so it would actually work, but they kept revising the document (sometimes
more than once a year), so I gave up. It used to cause a lot of swearing,
though, since the form had to be returned within a couple of days of the
inspection for him to get paid.

Another form I have to fill out occasionally for a client started out
containing form fields but was not locked; it contained detailed
instructions on how to change the Form Field Options on a check box in order
to check it. I modified that one to work correctly, but it has now been
abandoned in favor of one that just contains an ordinary table to fill in.

"jeni" wrote in message
my son is entering a comp. they sent form to complete but i cannot edit
it -
how do i do this please. i believe its in word 2003 - i have vista?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Goldman Ken Goldman is offline

Here's a really ugly hack, but it does work.

For "read-only" forms, what I do is call it up,
screen capture it as a jpg, start word, and add the
jpg as a watermark.

JoAnn Paules wrote:
I see posts like this now and then and I can't help but wonder if the
form is not meant to be filled out on a computer but filled out by
hand and mailed back.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Ugly and a PITA but it would work.