Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shari Shari is offline

Default formatting a numbered list

I would like to change the standard indentation for the 1,2,3 numbered list
format in Word 2007.

When I select this numbered format and try to change the indendation, it
displays a sample that shows no indent for the 2nd line of each numbered
paragraph. But when I use the numbered list in a document, it indents the 2nd
line of each paragraph in from the first line of each paragraph. I don't want
the 2nd line indented, I want it to line up with the first line.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Shari
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you want a single-level numbered list, apply the List Number style. You
can adjust its indentation as desired.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"shari" wrote in message
I would like to change the standard indentation for the 1,2,3 numbered list
format in Word 2007.

When I select this numbered format and try to change the indendation, it
displays a sample that shows no indent for the 2nd line of each numbered
paragraph. But when I use the numbered list in a document, it indents the
2nd
line of each paragraph in from the first line of each paragraph. I don't
want
the 2nd line indented, I want it to line up with the first line.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Shari

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shari Shari is offline

Thanks for that info Stefan, however I am not able to see how I can modify
the indentation in the List Paragraph Style. Can you tell me how to do this?
I have tired right-clicking on List Paragraph, and selecting "Modify", but I
don't see where it gives me the option to alter the amount of indentation.

"shari" wrote in message
I would like to change the standard indentation for the 1,2,3 numbered list
format in Word 2007.

When I select this numbered format and try to change the indendation, it
displays a sample that shows no indent for the 2nd line of each numbered
paragraph. But when I use the numbered list in a document, it indents the
2nd
line of each paragraph in from the first line of each paragraph. I don't
want
the 2nd line indented, I want it to line up with the first line.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Shari

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that the List Paragraph style does not actually store any numbering
formatting; it is just being applied by Word to numbered paragraphs (unless
you turn that off in Word Options).

What I suggested was to apply the built-in paragraph style called List
Number. You can use the Apply Styles pane to apply that style. Press
Ctrl+Shift+S to display that pane, and then, in the "Style name" box, locate
List Number or type its name. Click Apply.

If you want to change the indentation for the list, you can right-click a
numbered paragraph and choose Adjust List Indents from the context menu.
Choose the desired options. Then right-click again and choose Styles |
Update List Number to match selection.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP