Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts
Gary McGill Gary McGill is offline

Default Printing with zero margins

Hi,

I'm using Word 2003, although I think my problem affects previous versions
too.

I'm using Word to create PDF files, and I'm using the Acrobat Distiller
printer driver (*) to print a PostScript file for subsequent conversion to
PDF. The printer driver has the imageable area set to the entire page, so it
should be possible to print right to the edge of the page.

(* I get the same problem using the GhostScript printer driver)

Despite this, if I try to print a document whose margins are set to zero all
round, I get the dreaded "The margins are set outside the printable area"
message. I don't think they *are* set outside the printable area, since the
printable area is the entire page. Zero margins should be acceptable.

If I add tiny (0.1cm) right and bottom margins, the message goes away.
Apparently I can have zero left & top margins.

Is there any way around this? Is it just a bug in Word?

Thanks,
Gary McGill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I don't really consider it a "bug" because a word processing document with
0" margins is the rare exception to a long-standing & prominent rule - what
you're attempting is the function of a page layout program which Word is
not. Therefore it doesn't realize that the printer may have the capability
since most don't and often the Page Setup may be based on your default
printer's driver since the PDF option comes after-the-fact in most cases.

When the dialog presents, however, do you not have an Ignore option?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/27/08 7:40 AM, in article , "Gary
McGill" wrote:

[...]

Margins when printing ahw Microsoft Word Help 2 March 14th 08 02:38 PM
Margins when printing emails J-Ro Page Layout 2 December 26th 06 09:43 PM
Margins warning when printing Scott Meyers New Users 12 June 19th 06 09:47 PM
printing & margins SP New Users 1 May 16th 06 01:41 AM
Margins printing big Loulou Page Layout 0 October 6th 05 10:16 AM