Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ray Ray is offline

Default Suddenly Word Wants Foreigh Languages

Suddenly I have an anomaly that I have never had before. I've been using
Word since Word 97. Currently in Word 2003. Occasionally when I place the
cursor in some previously typed text to add, change, edit, etc., when I
click I get a dialog box with the following:

============
The list of common Spanish (Spain-Modern Sort) AutoCorrections is not
available.
This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?
|| Yes || || No ||
============

And a related anomaly that appears to come from the same problem is this.
During spell check I had clicked "Ignore All" several times and I had
clicked other things like "Add to 'Dictionary" and "Change" then after a
click on "Ignore All" it gave the following dialog with a Yes/No choice at
the bottom:

============
Microsoft Office Word can't check the spelling or grammar in this document.
This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?
|| Yes || || No ||
============

After clicking the "No" button I got another dialog similar to the one at
the top (for Argentina instead of Spain). The only button was an "OK"
button:

============
Cannot find proofing tools for Spanish (Argentina). If you have the proofing
tools, try installing or re-installing them. Contact your local reseller to
obtain Office Proofing Tools. For more information, see the Microsoft
Office Site. || OK ||
============

Then it went back to its regular spell checking and finished the document
normally.

This is an ongoing problem, and it happens at seemingly unrelated and
indiscriminate times. It is driving me crazy. How can I fix this short of
uninstalling Word and reinstalling it?

--
Thanks, Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Turn off the auto-detection of languages, in Tools | Language | Set
Language. For more, see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daryl Daryl is offline

Hello Stefan,

I have a similar problem as Ray here, except this message pops up after I
switch to an Arabic keyboard on the language bar. I turned off
auto-detection of languages, but I still receive the first error he
mentioned, which I restated below. Any other ideas?

============
The list of common Arabic (Saudi Arabia) AutoCorrections is not available.
This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?
|| Yes || || No ||
============

Thanks,
Daryl

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you don't have a CD (DVD) to install from, you can turn off AutoCorrect,
by clearing the "Replace text as you type" option on the AutoCorrect tab of
the AutoCorrect dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daryl Daryl is offline

Thanks Stefan, but after clearing "Replace text as you type" the error
message still pops up. No, I do not have the installation DVD since I
downloaded it from my University's server.

I looked at the link you offered Ray,
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm, and attempted to
enable only the languages I intend to use (which is just English), using the
MS Office 2003 Lang Settings.

It has trouble configuring FrontPage, needing the original installation
source which I don't have since I downloaded it from the University server
too, then gives me a "Fatal Error" and closes.

Any other ideas? Thanks for looking into this with me.

Daryl

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if the underlying problem is with the language settings, then.
Perhaps you have to discuss this with the IT staff at your university?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP